Price opinion

Well hell my deal for what I thought was gonna be my car has hit a snag . 

https://lasalle.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953-hudson-hornet/6373732462.html

The engine was rebuilt about 7 years ago along with all the brakes. The owner drove it home from Iowa ( 2.5 hours).
Drove it a bit and then it got parked . It’s very solid frame and pan wise .the critters have got to it on the inside ,master is leaking , tank has a hole and gas the old gas that is now varnish leaking through , side trim is gone , no skirts , no twin h badge, and it’s pretty rusty where the skirts should mount.

What would you guys say is a fair price for the car ?  I’m trying to salvage the deal but want to see if I’m just off on what it’s actually worth or if this guy is blinded by the money he put into it 7 years ago .

Comments

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    depends on the end result you want to obtain. plating,painting,wiring,rubber new interior,tires,glass. plus any missing parts you will need. nowadays you could spend 15 k   to 25k to restore plus purchase price. generally you might be better to pay more up front for a nicer car thats ready to drive then deal with all the unknowns in
     a car like this one. of course if you can do most of the work yourself that changes your cash outlay  this car needs alot 2500.00 tops if it were me.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Is the rust in the skirt area just surface or is metal missing?   Don't know how much work you are planning to do yourself, but refinishing, and putting in good driveable shape could be quite expensive. I wouldn't pay more than $2000.  
  • 53_hornet
    53_hornet Member
    edited November 2017
    I can do the vast majority of the work myself , end result is a driver quality car . Not looking to win prizes just want it to look decent and drive anywhere . I really don’t mind driving it a little ugly for a while
    as long as it’s mechanically sound .

it skirt area isn’t gone but  when I squeeze it chunks come off . I was looking to just get different quarters to put on it .

most of the glass is good . 

• This guy is pretty stuck on $6000 . I think it’s because of th money he has in it , the fact it’s a twin h car & that the hagerty fair value is $14k . I was thinking 4500-5000 at most but I may have given too much credit to the old girl 
  • Widened my search and found this — https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/6385944262.html
    yeah $6k is nuts . Granted I like the split wind shield style better and don’t know if this is the twin h set up but wow . $2k more to get to this either the 54 owner is crazy or the 53 owner is haha 
  • You're putting a lot of trust in the engine rebuild - if it isn't running - it's just a hunk of rusted crap - brakes sitting so long would need rebuilding, plus what is the clutch, drivetrain like? He's selling you his dream - its parked for a reason - put your money in a drivable goer and work backwards upgrading a nice car - offer him only what you are happy with or walk away cheers Ken 
  • That ad in South Bend is some kind of scam. The same ride is being offered in Seattle, Salt Lake City, and a couple of other places. Each listing is a little different and represented as a local car. I don't know what their angle is, but they do not respond when contacted. It is not at all useful for comparisons.
  • 53_hornet
    53_hornet Member
    edited November 2017
    I actually just found the exact same car as a sold car on eBay for 16500 located in Virginia ... it’s more than a bit shifty ! 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1954-Hudson-Hornet-/192342210240
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    That is a 55 engine. Or the Twin H was taken off a 55.  The air cleaners are correct.
    For me? $1k tops. Rusty rockers? The frame under them is probably just as bad.  It is on the verge of being a parts car. 
    Perhaps the other ads are placed to make this one look like a bargain?  Ken1962 has good advice.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Ditto to Super Dave's advice!
  • 53_hornet
    53_hornet Member
    edited November 2017
    I’ve seen the car in person .rockers are pretty clean floor / trunk pans are solid , frame is 98% solid les one section back by the pass side tail light .  As far as the air cleaners / engine  I have no idea but the air cleaners are the same I’ve seen on a few ‘53 s . 

Engine turns over over by hand . 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    That's a parts car right now. $2k from now it might be a driver? So $8k for driver that needs restore?

I think there are better candidates at price point.
  • Thank you for all the input . I’ve been in touch with rick Nell of the Chicago HET chapter . He said he may have some leads for me . 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    If you are serious about this car, first make a list of what it needs and price each one, then rethink. You can also put this to the owner and say this is what it needs to be at least a driver.  $14K in Hagerty values are always way high, they sell insurance after all and they want you to pay more!  Old Cars is better but even they are sometimes a bit off. Here is what a '53 Hornet is priced at in Old Cars:

#6 $840
    #5 $2,520 (this is where this car is at best)
    #4 $4,200
    #3 $9.450
    #2 $14,700
    #1 $21,000

• JFromm
    JFromm Senior Contributor
    The 54 Hornet is currently listed in Rochester NY Craigslist for $8500.00. Have tried to notify owner and have not received a reply. Looks too good for the price.
  • It seems that it’s listed all over the country . It’s listed twice in my area and I actually found it as a sold car on eBay located in Virginia for $16k - I put a link to the eBay auction a little further up 
  • It's a 2500 4 door sedan at best.  Have a look at the 54 in Colorado Springs from an estate sale.  It looks like it's ready at driver quality right now!
  • Craigs List.
  • My dad is Denver that could work . I looked and I see an ad for a while list of cars and they had 3 Hudson’s but don’t see one for a specific Hudson and pictures . Anyway you can post a link to the ad please 
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Listen to SuperDave
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I have seen this car in person. It is really nice and it is the only car I have ever seen with the factory/dealer A/C mounted in the trunk. If I didn't already have 6 Hudsons, I would have bought it. The seller bought it from an elderly neighbor and is not a Hudson guy (not sure if that helps or hurts)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    That is a Very Reasonable price for that Hornet!  If there was room in my garage it would be mine too.
  • That’s very nice and sadly out of my price range
  • 53_hornet said:
    That’s very nice and sadly out of my price range
    C'mon... do you really need both kidneys....?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Listen to Dave. 
  • 53_hornet said:
    That’s very nice and sadly out of my price range
    C'mon... do you really need both kidneys....?

Both kidneys nah .... a 2nd ex wife NOOOOO 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Well this is not a Hornet but it is a step down and the price is right.  Not sure where you are in the US but this Hornet Jr. (Wasp) looks pretty good for $3K

http://www.oldridetrader.com/listing-detail/?theid=26#

• 53_hornet
    53_hornet Member
    edited November 2017
    I was looking at super wasps too so that would be nice , and the price is right . I’m in IL so not too far 

I wish some some of these sites would put a listed on date so I wouldn’t keep calling on cars listed in 2015 .

Im guessing that’s not the 308 in there huh , haha.
  • I called the number — super nice guy car sold 10 YEARS AGO ! Haha