Looking for a Dana Rear End

Hi Fellow Club Members:  I am trying to find a complete Dana rear end assembly for my 53 Hornet restoration (any condition considered). I have two Hudson sealed rear ends including the one under the car, but from what I read the 53 should have the Dana?  Perhaps the Dana was changed out way back when??? Help wanted.  Please phone or email at 717-360-4910, popgun7@comcast.net

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Dana  was used from 52 thru 54. If your rear has a bolted on cover....it's a Dana.
  • SuperDave
    Email from Bob says he has a Hudson rear, not Dana. That means the U bolts and shock mounting plates have been installed from an early model. He can install a Dana and use the larger U bolts and shock plates. I have done it with no problems. Is anyone in Pa in a position to give him a hand in finding the proper differential??  He has a standard shift. Unknown if it's a OD.
  • SuperDave
    edited November 2017
    OK he has a two lever Manual with OD. Needs a 3.07-1, stamped "4 3/14" or a 4.09-1 stamped "45/11". Complete assembly and he is in PA. Can anyone out there help him? I have one ( 3.07) in Florida but shipping is more than i want to get involved with. (too old and weak) Nor do I want to remove the carrier.  
  • I've got a set of Dana 3:07 gears in a rear end that has been cut off at the axles. No problem with the differential but this setup is not a complete rear end. If the guy has a Dana/ Spicer  rear end this ring and pinion setup will work.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Lance, sent you a PM.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Since early Dana's are so rare, why not adapt a narrow 8", 8.8", or 9" Ford Rear'? They have the same wheel bolt pattern, the U Joint, & Emergency cables connect, plus its a much stronger rear without weak tapered axle ends. Additionally, Ford Rear's come in many Ratios & Widths.... Only requirement is changing the spring Perches to the Hudson dimension......
  • Ol racer
    FYI
     I just seen a DANA available in PA  on Facebook. It should be just what  Bjgund is looking for from an automatic so is a 3.074 Ratio....
  • Ol Racer what Facebook page did you see the Dana?  Perhaps it was the same guy who sent me an email from Bethleham, PA or perhaps not? 

• Ol racer
    FYI
    Actually, It landed in my Email....Call 610 759 0752 Walt and it is Bethlam Pa. Good Luck
  • Does anyone out there in Hudsonland know what the specified gear ratio is that Hudson used in a 53 Hornet manual tranny shift with overdrive?  I have access to a Dana 3:07 ratio rear assembly in close proximity but will the 3:07 have any unforeseen negatives to drawbacks?

• Ol racer
    The '48 -'51 OD Rear was 4.55. Not sure when switched to Dana in '52 - '54 but probably the same Ratio. Drawback with 3.07 in Std would be starting out might be hard on clutch and downshifting on hills, but some have done wirh a higher torque Hornet in flat terrain.
  • The Dana/Spicer rear end came in 1952. There were a number of 52's made with the Hudson built rear end but when that supply ended it was all Dana. The reality was that Hudson was using up all previous inventory before switching over to Dana. The Hudson built rear end had a  ratio of was 3:58  for hydramatics but starting with the Dana rear end the ratio was dropped to 3:07.
  • Thanks for all your guy's help. Found a complete Dana rear end with a 3:07 carrier, but does anyone out there have a 4 series carrier for sale? My 53 Hornet has the standard transmission and overdrive. Call 717=762-3578 or email me @ popgun7@comcast.net. Thanks a bunch. bjgund