Wiper motor removal

I need to lube the wiper motor in my 39. Do I need to remove it to do so? If need to rebuild it how do I get it out? Nay help much appreciated

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, you have to remove it.  If you have a radio, this will have to be removed first.  Then the wiper motor.  You may find that it needs more than lubrication.  Check the inside surface for  bumps and lumps!  They are made of pot-metal, and tend to swellup and  get too tight.   Soak the paddle in neatsfoot oil, and lubricate with soft grease when you re-assemble.   Good luck,
    Geoff 

• Thank you Geoff, I have the radio removed so is it difficult to remove the wiper motor? And Neatsfoot oil????
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited November 2017
    Neats foot oil is for leather shoes so you may be able to find it at a shoe store if not elsewhere.  I think I've heard brake fluid will work but you'd better wait for someone to confirm that, here! 

As to wiper motor removal, if the '39 is anything like the '37 you first have to disconnect the 2 long linkage arms that transmit the motion from the motor to the two individual transmissions or towers where the arms are.  You do this by reaching up and groping around at the back of the motor (the side closest to the engine).  You can feel the two arms there, attached to two round studs on the back of the short pivoting bar on the back of the motor. 

A short spring device holds the arms to the studs, it consists of a short spring maybe 1/2" long, with two keyhole-type thin washers at each end. The spring locks the washers into grooves in the two studs. Grasp one of the washers and slide it outward (toward the side of the car) maybe 1/16", freeing it from the stud.  Then you can pull the washer toward the engine maybe 1/4",  and off the stud.  Repeat, for the opposite washer.  Now you can grasp both arms and slide them off the studs, thus disconnecting the wiper motor from its arms.

Pull the rubber vacuum tube off its connecting pipe on the wiper motor.

Then you will look up and see two slotted screws holding the motor to the dashboard bracket.  Unscrew and remove these and the motor will fall off and hit you on the head.

The whole operation, from grasping the little spring thingie to the moment the wiper motor hits your head, will be about 4 minutes.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jon, has said it all!
  • Sporting goods stores might also sell the oil, as that's what people put on baseball gloves.
  • Thank you all so much for the info. Jon B I will have to try that some evening this week when I get time. Minus of course getting hit in the head :) I also have heard that brake fluid works well. I will repost when I have success. One thing to mention I did do a vacuum test on the car and it was low and the mechanic procedure manual then gives me other test to do if not between 18 and 21at idle. However as Dr Doug and the gang did a valve job on the car and checked it over when it was there for maintenance  I am inclined to think my gage is off. So after I get the motor out and lubed up I will check it at the manifold and see does it work. I know it used to as they did when I bought the car in 2011.    
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Val,
    Before you remove it you might try warming up the wiper motor with a hair dryer to see if it softens up the grease.  Don't use the HOT setting, you just want to warm it up, the hot may warp the pot-metal.

Hope this helps.

John Forkner 
  • Success! I have removed the wiper motor per the instruction from Jon B. I shall use brake fluid for lubrication  as there is something in the HET club library that says brake fluid works the best and gives instruction as to how to lube and test Keep you posted   
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Be aware that, after many years, the insides of the housing can warp and no longer provide a seal, no matter what you do.  With any luck, this will not be the case for you.

I had sent my wiper motor to wiperman.com for rebuilding, and he sent it back to me saying that the inside was warped and would no longer hold a seal.  I was despondent until I checked with Ebay that day and found a brand new, in the box wiper for my Terraplane, for half of what it would have cost to renew the old one!  The new one ran like greased lightning.  So, always keep an eye out for a new one.  You may not need it now, but you will someday.
  • Jon B Thanks for the detailed instruction as I used the brake fluid as I said I would and the motor hooked directly to the manifold vacuum works as advertised. So tomorrow I will get a new vacuum hose clamp it down at the manifold and the motor after I run it through the firewall. Then I need to get the J hook repaired so that I can install and have the knob to operate the unit. I can then reinstall the radio. Thanks to all who have helped and replied. And Jon B I will keep an eye out for a new wiper motor as "someday" I will need it.   
  • I got a new vacuum line, reinstalled motor and new line. Works as advertised. Now I just need to get the on/off rod fixed and find a knob