Dyno tune for Webers

Jay_G
Jay_G Expert Adviser

Does anyone know of a good Dyno/tune shop in Southern California that will tweek Weber carbs?  I have a triple weber set up on my 53 and I would like to have it properly tuned.  It is currently drivable but it needs a final tweeking by someone who knows more than I do.

Thanks Jay

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Do you have the Weber factory manual?
    Tuning information is part of that manual.  Ivan Z maybe a source for you?
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Jay,
    You are looking for a chassis dyno, I assume.  I your car the one with Perry Spring's inner fender mods that I saw at Albright's?  Weber set up ex-Charlie Wallace?  I do not know of one, but would be surprised if someone in the Inland Chapter there centered in Ontario doesn't know somebody with a chassis dyno.  I do all my work with an engine dyno--not in the car.
    Ivan
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Ivan,

yes, my car has Perry's inner fender mod and Charlie Weber set up with a few changes of my own and yes I am looking for a chassis dyno.  I am really looking for someone who knows webers and can help give some direction to the final tweeks.  I can always do a road test but if I find something on the road test I need help to resolve the issue.  as you know there are just so many things you can adjust it is difficult to know where to start. 

Also how is the mile-a-min car coming and was the manual any help?

Jay

• ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Jay,
    Thank you again for the manual.  It and the 1913 manual that Carl Weber sent me were great additions to my library.  The Mile A Minute engine is not yet the table.  I have to fix the same owner's Bentley 4 1/2 Liter with a broken crankshaft first.  I could recommend a Weber tuning manual if you want to educate yourself.  As you point out there are many things to adjust there.  Maybe we should talk on the phone about issues you have identified.  425-497-4368
    Ivan
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Sorry---415-497-4368
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Jay, I have a DVD for you on Weber tuning.  where do I send it?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Thanks Ivan, I got you message and I will give you a call.  I have been at SEMA the last few days.  Sadly I did not see any Hudsons. 

Jay

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited November 2017

I always think of Haynes manuals !! Have a thick one just on Webers.
    But $35-40. at Amazon--goodness, think I paid $12. for mine; 1986 edition.
    They are $14. now on eBay.

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Ivan, sorry I have not called.  life got away from me.  Saturday we resolved the problem with the surging.  The idle jets were to rich on the progression side.  So changed from and an F9 to and F2.  No surging any more.  Also no hesitation so I think I am in the ball park.  Going to install new gaskets from the carb to the intake, then re-sync the carbs, and reset the idle and new plugs (fouled the old ones, to rich).  Oh, also installed a fuel pressure regulator, I don't think that did much as the mechanical was putting out around 3.  With the electric we were at 6 so the regulator is just a precaution.

When Jason gets this finished we are going to use an air/fuel meter and do some test drives to see where we are on all the jets.  But big relief on the re-jetting.

Jay

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

One other thing of noet for those interested was the linkage.  The linkage is the standard stuff Clifford sold with the setup.  It was slipping and throwing off the throttle control rod to the hydromatic making shifting problematic.  Also the throw on the carbs wide open was not in sync with the wide open on the trans.  Fixed that problem.  So now the car is getting very streetable with the trans in sync with the carbs.  When this is all said and done we should write an article for WTN.  Quite a learning experience.  Assuming there is any interest.

Jay

• ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Jay, Sounds like you are almost there.  I'd love to hear what jetting makes the car best in your view.  Tell me about the engine specs? Bore and stroke?  Compression ratio? Camshaft? Exhaust?
    Cheers,
    Ivan
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Jay, your article is something I wish the WTN would do more of.  There are only a couple of tech writers now and WTN does not have a Q/A section for owners to write in and ask questions that would be of benefit to many, especially those new to Hudsons.  Although it is well done it has turned into a report more on the social aspects of Hudsoning.