Hornet Cylinder Head Casting Numbers

ivanz62
ivanz62 Expert Adviser
I am hoping someone here has the key to identifying 308 heads from their casting numbers.  I have three aluminum heads with these numbers:   309123,  304632, and 304832.  And I know there are others.  Is there a listing of the various heads, their compression ratios, and there applications somewhere?
Thanks,
Ivan

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Ivan,  If you discover that data... send it along to me and I will post it on my website.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ivan,

When I was at the Big Country Regional this year I ran into a gentleman by the name of Dale Harshberger.  He has notebooks full of information regarding engine specifications from different manufacturers including Hudson, and is himself a walking encyclopedia.  He may be able to provide you with the information.  He doesn't do email, you can call him at (316) Six-Eight-Zero 6602.  

John Forkner
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Ken, two of them do have 1/2" holes, but wouldn't you think a 55-56 head would have 9/16 holes to clear the 1/2" bolts?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    On a head that uses 7/16" bolts the 3 centre holes are a smidgin over 7/16", the end holes are 1/2", the ones in between are 15/32". 
  • ivanz62
    ivanz62 Expert Adviser
    Wow!  I'll measure other holes to try to see if these are for 55-56 or 51-54.
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    The '55 and '56 heads do not have the coolant bypass in the goose neck. I'll check on numbers.