232 head

dave11
dave11 Expert Adviser
If one was to install a 232 head on a 308, how much will the increase in compression be? I understand this conversion requires installing 1/2" studs to replace the 7/16" head bolts.
Just wondering how much strain the added compression will put on the 6 volt starter?

Dave

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Dont put on a stock 232 head. The 7X (232) head had an altered combustion chamber that prevented detonation and had more clearance for valve lift. Thje 262 head adds more compression using 7/16" bolts without detonation or starter problem.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Even with a 262 head, you need to check valve clearance. Use the old style Victor head gasket as it will compress less then the newer "best" brand gasket. Make sure all bolt threads are clean and use sealer on the bolt threads. Torque properly using the proper tightening sequence  and do again after motor is running and warmed up. Then again after running a couple of times. 
    Be sure to check head thickness to make sure it is within spec and not too thin after planing. I've had to send a couple back to sellers after checking and finding them out of spec.
    If the block is out of the car, now is the time to have it and the head drilled out for 1/2" bolts if they don't already have the proper hole size. If not, use large hardened flat washers under new 7/16" bolts. 
  • I heard that the 262 head's combustion chambers are 10cc smaller each.  You supposedly get 3-4 more horsepower.  My 308 had a 262 head on when I got it, but I don't think I'd be brave enough to try a 232!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

My thoughts are:  if the car is running fine leave it the way it is, if you are looking for more power then pull the engine and do all the high performance stuff to it while it is out and in the machine shop.  You can get a lot more horse power with machining with new pistons/slotted racing rings, enlarged valves, steel 308 head (enlarge the champers in the head if you desire, and most important is the size of the cam (4 cams are available today). Randy Maas can lead you through a build and provide the parts needed.  If you are going to do it, do it right.  By the way, my Beyond 7X engine seldom goes over 70.  it can--but why?  I also think a big factor for the rebuilt engine is the larger "stock" radiator that Wildrick builds/sells.  With all that work, the original radiator will not keep it cool.  Once again, just my thoughts...

• Dave, I've been running a 232 head on my '55 big valve 308 with Best head gasket and headers for years.  I'm also running the stock cam grind for '54.  The only down side is you will need to run high-test fuel to prevent spark knock.  But, the power is awesome! 

Just another point of view.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    brownie is right..And after all the mods, a kid with a Honda and a coffee can muffler will kick your butt at a traffic light! LOL. Geez enjoy the Hudson as it was built!
  • Dave, you mean you don't want to go 120mph  with shoe brakes, manual steering and no seat belts? Gee Dave I'm dissappointed.LOL   
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Lance, that’s a job for the youngsters!