BRAKE BAND LINING NEEDED

PAULARGETYPE
PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
HI ALL I'M TRYING TO HELP OUT A FELLOW HET GUY HE NEEDS HIS 1927 ESSEX BRAKE BANDS RELINED I HAVE THE MACHINE AND THE RIVITS BUT I DON'T HAVE THE LINING WE NEED 80 INCHS OF 1 3/4 X 1/4 INCH WOVEN LINING AND 74 INCHS OF    1 1/2 X 1/4 INCH WOVEN LINING MIGHT AND ONE HAVE ROOLS OF LINING SITTING ON YOUR SHELF THANKS 

Comments

• You're talking about asbestos? may I suggest he relines the brakes modern and stay away from this cancer causing product which is now non legal in most countries - cheers Ken 
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Make sure the lining is soft.  (No, I don't know what that means)  My understanding is that many modern brake lining material is much harder than the original.  I can tell you I have apparently hard linings on my 1922 Essex and you get one chance to stop.  After the drums are warm forget it.......you are going through intersections.  Not a pleasant feeling.  My 1910 has much softer linings and it works fine for what it is.  I get multiple stops before they fade.  I need to get the 1922 relined or I would have more information.

Jay

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Only option, though a bit more expensive, is to use Kevlar linings.   This does not lose grip when wet, and stops much better than the original woven asbestos lining 
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited October 2017
    GEOFF I THOUGHT THEY MIGHT BE TO HARD ?? HAVE YOU USED THEM YEAT 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, I relined the brakes of a 1922 Essex with Kevlar.   Work really well.