1929 Dover PU

Hello Folks,

I might have a chance to buy a 1929 Dover pick up.

Now this thing is in pieces. So here the list I was given.

1. Current active title in the owners name.

2. 3, Essex frames (was told the 29 Essex frame was the same as the Dover.

3. Original Dover leaf springs. ( I was told these are something totally different.)

4. Motor (not stuck), transmission & rear axle.

5. Radiator

6. Grill Shell with 2 emblems (1 nice / one ok) 

7. Box with tail gate. The box is steel, then wood with another sheet of steel on the inside.

8. 6 or 8 rims. The owner couldn't remember.

9. Doors

10. Cab, now for the bad part. The rear panel in missing from the cab. I have spoken to a metal body fabricator. He said the rear panel is not a problem to make. 

I'm going to look at this stuff this weekend. Do any of you have any idea what it's worth? For once Google has seem to let me down. 

Thanks Capt. Chrysler

FYI: I'm NOT building a rat rod.

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Capt, you are not going to find a price on a Dover of any kind.  These trucks were built by Dover for Hudson Motor Company.  I guess it comes down to what you are willing to pay.  As parts alone around $500 would be a going value, as a Dover, there is no way to know.  Simply stated, you will not see another one at a car show or at a regional/national meet.  Something like this could bring me out of restoration retirement.  Let us know how it goes and keep us up to date on the restoration.
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser

The chassis is similar the difference is the extra cross member behind the rear cross member that connects the rear of the rear spring.

The springs have many more leaves than Essex.

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Guy here in NZ has restored a Dover & is doing a second if tech info is needed. Send me a pm with your email & I'll pass it along.
  • Hello Again,

Looked at some of the body panels today. I would rate them as rough, but workable. But, it is completely apart. So it's a little difficult for a Hudson newbie to know if everything is there. 

ESSX28-1 A pm will be sent. As I think any & all info will be a good thing.

Thank You All!

Capt. Chrysler

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    I've sent your details on.
  • Browniepetersen

Did you buy it  How about some photos...

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Buy it if you can.  There are only 7 of them registered with the HET club.  Condition is missing on most of them.  Only good one I know of is in Hostetler's Collection
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    well there is a very good one being used on the road in New Zealand owned by Graeme Shaskey a club member 
  • Hi Folks, 

Thanks for all the input. I'm still trying to figure out if there are enough of the one off Dover parts to make this a valid project. Plus if I can find enough info to reassemble it! As for the price, the ball is in my court for that. So I need to come up with something fair for both parties. 

We all want to low ball a new project and get the SMOKING DEAL of the century. I'm just not wanting a project that will be worth 50 cents of my spent dollar when done.

So any help on value would be greatly appreciated. As for photos, the owner is not really into someone taking photos of his "stuff". I can respectfully accept that, for now.

Thanks Again, Capt. Chrysler
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser

A photo of my Dads Dover just before he finished restoration.

I don't know if it a factory body or locally built here in AUS. the spare wheel sits on the mudguard not in a well, there is no vent in the cowl [as 29 Essex has] and the radiator surround is different to 29 Essex and the louvers being horizontal not vertical. Hope this helps with identifying it.

• Thanks for posting the photo. Would you happen to have a photo of the back cab panel?

Capt. Chrysler
  • Browniepetersen
    I do not want to destroy any dreams but according to Butler's book Dover did not build any open trucks.  They did sell a frame with cowl forward/no windshield and run the 29 Essex super six engine. Dover had five models and other than the delivery they were all two door closed cabs.  Mechanically they are a 29 Hudson Super six, And from the front to the windshield they are the same as a Essex, beyond that about the only difference was the badge on the radiator cowl.  This should not be a difficult build. As to value after completion you will have in it about what it is worth. 
  • Browniepetersen, any idea where I could find a copy of this book?

Thanks

Capt. Chrysler
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Correction to Brownie's note, the Dover mechanically is 1929 Essex, not Hudson.   They used 1928  instrument panels, apart from the electric fuel gauge, and had different radiator surround and grille, and headlamps were also different, reverting to painted steel shells.  As for Spencer's Dad's Dover, the Aussies put any sort of body they wanted, on any cars!
    Geoff 

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    My Dad's Dover was as Geoff described. A good way to use up 28 left over parts. This was true for interior and exterior door handles.  His was exactly like the one  old farmer posted.
  • Browniepetersen
    Geoff is right, that Hudson word just slipped out-I do that sometimes.  I have seen the photo of your Dads car Spencer, And I always thought it was a custom, most likely modified from a touring car.  All the Dover hoods I have seen (mostly in photos but there were parts of one in an Idaho junk yard) were vertical i.e. Essex. The Butler book I referenced is from Don Butler named The History of Hudson.  You can buy it thru the HET Club bookstore.  Would give you some ideas on what you would like the bed to look like.