Differential and rear drive shaft

Kid who claimed to have repaired many dana 44 used a crush washer on the pinion gear. I have read that we should use shims? The nut compresses the two bearings and the shims would only move the yoke out? The rear drive shaft is really tight fit. Have to loosen the mid point bearing to get the universal joint back into the yoke.Other cars have some play in the shaft?

Comments

• 53 hudson hornet
  • yes the slip yoke is tight into the center bushing. we had a vibration at about 60 mph before we replaced the rear end and still have a vibration. the kid used a crush washer to set the pinion bearing instead of the shims. we had set the pinion bearing using the 80-140 ft lbs and the bearings were too tight after the kid used the crush washer it moved easier.the rear drive shaft was really tight both when the crush sleeve was used and when we set the unit up with out the crush sleeve. the hudson was owned by Rod Hunter before I bought it

• Yes we replaced the u-joints didn't know about how they were going together.  I bought the blue/white 53 of rod's estate. It is a hydramatic  shaft is clean. What is the orientation of the drive shafts? will check mounts. Thank you for all of the help. Want to drive it more.

• Checked drive shaft install and it is correct. All mounts and center mounts are ok. Will replace all bearings and have new end put on rear drive shaft in the spring. still have vibration starting about 60 mph. I have driven it at that speed. Someone said to get it up to speed, 60+ and put into neutral to see if it continues to vibrate? I want to drive it at 70 but don't want to damage anything.