Under hood insulation

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I got an under hood insulation for my Hornet but the instructions are a bit confusing.  I assume that it is grey side (more solid mat) toward the underside and the yellow insulation side down toward the engine?

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited October 2017
    I think you want the grey side out, it's purpose is to probably keep the insulation from flying off.  I could be wrong.  There has been some discussion on this forum whether to use an insulation pad or not, some yes, some no, I did.

John Forkner

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2017
    I installed insulation under my hood to cover the deteriorating stuff that was there; to make 'pretty'.
    I would not have done this otherwise. It prevents  any heat to leave the engine compartment by hood radiation. One of the problems with excessive 'engine' heat in a step down is that all the heat from the radiator and engine, except that going out the tailpipe, must leave the cramped compartment somehow. That is why hood louvers originated on cars, and inner fender louvers also. Anyway, every little bit in that regard helps. Better to have a hot hood than a hot engine.
    Two-cents!!
    We could additionally help by removing the canvas inner fender covers over the suspension; but I haven't done that yet !!!!--and won't.
    Three cents~~