'54 Hornet Convertible #2 from the end is back

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited September 2017 in HUDSON
This black '54 was in my latest Hemmings and I see it is again on ebay.  I guess he did not get the money.  I think it has been for sale for about a year plus now.  It appears the big bucks for stepdown convertibles has cooled off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Hudson-Brougham-Convertible-/162670011163?hash=item25dfe3631b:g:oK8AAOSwZ~lZtq6g&vxp=mtr

Comments

• Sold on eBay a couple of times, but transactions not completed. Seems the seller is not going to take less than $85K for it, high bids were $50K once and $60K another time. First time I seen it was priced at $100K, it has come down a little. It is a beautiful car, wish I had the money to buy it.

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited September 2017
    FYI
    Unlress their are two identical 7x convertibles, the last time this paticular NY convertible was advertised earlier this yr (at a littler lower price) a prominent couple from my City contacted me to learn what to look for on a Hudson then drove all day staying overnite just to look and possibly buy the car, but the owner didnt show the next morning as arranged earlier in the wk, so they called his cell to learn that he had forgotten their appointment (?) The couple did eventually look at the car and told me later it drove nice, idled fast & rough, but had a few minor flaws for the asking price then, however they were uneasy so passed because the owner has some 'issues'...  They figure he bought it just to flip.
  • Hudsonrules
    Hudsonrules Senior Contributor
    Again, posibly a "flipper" trying to make a few bucks.  Unable to ask seller how a frame off restoration is done on a unibody. He would probably call me a smart a--.
  • And now it is gone from eBay.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Will not be surprised if we see it again
  • 50C8DAN said:
    Will not be surprised if we see it again
    Like a bad rash...
  • And now it’s gone once again.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Didn't hit his reserve and it topped out well below where it had gone before.  It's a nice looking car, one could speculate he got it at a 'decent' price and thought he'd be able to flip it easily for a nice profit.  One might think that looking at a few auction results, but when the 54 Russ restored went for 60k (plus 6k premium) earlier this year, it shows he's going to have to be real lucky to get more than 50k for this one.  The 54's just don't seem to pull the same $$ the 51-53 Hornets have at auction.
  • Now it is on eBay thru a dealer in Syosset, NY with a BIN price of $89,499:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Hudson-Hornet/152816142790?hash=item23948d49c6:g:GpQAAOSw3fZaJsDA&vxp=mtr
  • For that price, you'd think they'd at least make sure the Hornet emblems on the front fenders weren't backwards... ;-)

This car is like a bad rash or crazy ex-girlfriend...
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    36 pictures, nothing more than '1954 Hudson Hornet 4,432 Miles Blue Coupe Manual' for a description and 'Coupe' and 'Manual' don't seem to be accurate.

I hope whoever owns it isn't paying these guys too much to sell it for them.

Maybe they figure it's been around so much that no further words are needed.
  • I sent a friendly message via eBay to the seller letting him know that the front emblems are on backwards.  I mean, if you're trying to sell The Most Expensive Hornet in the World, details like that should matter, right?  Something tells me he's not going to be very grateful...  So far, the only response has been an automatically-generated generic email about the car, which has the same lack of info as the eBay post.

If the owner did hire these people to sell it, he sure doesn't seem to be getting his money's worth so far.  Are they just doing the minimum necessary to collect their flat fee?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Same problem with the Pacemaker Club coupe  which isn't  a club coupe and is not restored authentically  .They have been informed but fail to correct the posting...and they wonder why they don't sell.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I had messaged the seller previously trying to provide some insight based on what I had paid for one and what Russ's 54 had sold for at auction and how that may play into his selling expectations (my thoughts being he should be somewhere in between...this one is better than mine, lesser than the one Russ sold).  Also asking about the 7x and if he had documentation as that would be important since the modifications are internal.  These were his replies:

It is verified by the previous owner, casting and block numbers. It s the ONLY reason I bought the car to begin with aside from the fact the previous owner had it for 36-40 years. It is a truly beautiful car. I understand after much research that it is and has become difficult to verify these engines. Your welcome to check this out yourself. Thanks

And:

Are you interested? I really need to sell my car. I will never get what I paid for it 2 years ago but would like to hear a reasonable offer. The last ones that sold were sold in the past 4 months all 3 over 60K. one for 50K to a dealer wholesaler who sold it at mecum last month for 77K. Thanks (845) 987 9267. I'm not re-listing the car again since it seems that anyone who collects cars is more interested in going to Barret jackson auctions and or are more interested in muscle cars at this point. I feel less and less people know what a bargain this is or even bother to make any reasonable offers. Thank you.

Again, I clarified I had one and was only trying to give him some information.  The pictures posted on this sale are better, but still no good closeups.  No engine shots.  No underside shots.  Not near enough, IMHO.  He had two different ebay listings with sold prices over 50k.  Not quite sure which 3 sales he was referring to.  There haven't been that many 54s that I had seen.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    A couple from Erie Pa. seriously interested in purchasing drove all day to near N.Y.C. in August looked & drove the car but the owner wouldn't come down to their offer, (I think around $55-60k). After returning they called me saying it has the rare Clifford head, 1/2" Studs, idled roughly, (indicating a cam), and drove nice. They said underside rear frame looked okay except behind rockers appeared 'open' in spots so they passed on it...