49 Hudson Eight

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
Hi all,  any pros and cons with the straight eight. I'm looking at one for sale but I'm not familiar with them. Any info much appreciated. 
Gene.

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    The eight had steady improvement over its life.  I guess what would help is what year are you looking at and what year car will it go in?  Just in general, the eight is a smooth running engine with a lower top end than the six.  Both are great engines.  I have had both.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    An eight in good condition and excellent tune, is a joy to behold.  So quiet, you don't know it's running.  However, parts will be a bit scarcer than for the sixes.  Plus, it's old technology (splash lubrication and babbited bearings) and requires a good deal of skill and Hudson knowledge to do correctly.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Love my '50 C8.  Runs so smooth that in one parade someone ask if it was running or had an electric motor.
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    When I drive out of a cruise night people have walked out in front of me not knowing I am there due to such a quite engine.Should see the look on their face when they do turn around and see me right there. lol
  • Never had that happen . My Hornet 308 experience is not quite the same .:)
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I have played with my 1954-308 to the point that even with a flowmaster exhaust, I am thinking of putting on a more quiet muffler----na, most likely will not happen-it sounds too good.

• hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.