212 engine year ID

terraplane8
terraplane8 Senior Contributor
I have a couple of engines and need to ID them. They could be '34 or '35 I am thinking.

One has  the engine number 96195 and casting numbers 62534 and 44600 H.

The other has no engine number in the usual place ie LHS below head, and casting numbers 41085 and 44600 H.

The reason I need to know is I'm using the inlet manifold off one of them as a starting point to get a new aluminium one made to suit a Weber 32/36 carb and want to be sure it will be exactly the same as the '36 it is being made for (which is garaged some way away from where I am now). That is to say, height, any offset w.r.t. the exhaust manifold etc. The new manifold will use water heating instead of exhaust gas. The original manifold is not easy to modify as it has the down tube integrally cast and suiting only a single throat OE carb.

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone knows their stuff!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Denzil, none of those numbers make much sense.   Check the left side of the motors, and see if the water pipe is at the top or bottom of the jacket,  If the bottom, then they  are '34 or '35.  If top, then it could be anything from '36 onwards.   '34-'35 have water pump in  head, and '36 onwards on block.   Also '34-'35 have longer studs in centre row.  Hope this helps,
    Geoff 

• terraplane8
    I don't have the heads for these blocks or the water plates so it's a bit tricky. I guess '36 on would have two holes in the front of the block to mount the water pump plate.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Geoff mentioned the 34/35 having longer centre head studs. 1936 had round exhaust ports and 1937 onwards had oval larger exhaust ports.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Casting #  44600 is a 1935 Hudson or Terraplane block.  Casting # 62534 is June 25, 1934 which is the date the block was cast.  41035 is the date for that block casting.

Hope this helps,
  • terraplane8
    Thanks all for the responses, one further query was the inlet manifold the same from 1934 to 1936? Hopefully it is the same part across those theee years?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, the same for three years, thereafter ("37 on) all the same apart from super models which had twin-throat carbs.