No tail lites or parking lamps

hudsonjeff
hudsonjeff Senior Contributor
had the 51 supersix out tonite stopped for gas and notices that neither the tail lights or parking light were working.  When i turn the switch to the first postion i do get park lamps and hood orn lites up but no tail lights. turn the switch to head lites and the park lamps go out and still no tail lights.   Any ideas?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2017
    Yup, as Ken suggests, check the bulbs first.  However, because NEITHER light illuminates, this suggests that the problem is elsewhere.  (How could both bulbs have burned out?)

My gut reaction is that the problem is not at either of the taillight sockets or wires, but rather from where the two taillight circuits join the main circuit that runs to the dash switch.  It should be relatively easy and quick to troubleshoot.  Get a long wire, one end of which is clamped to the hot side of your battery. 

Bring the other end of the wire around to the taillight junction block (where L and R circuits branch off) and touch it to the taillight terminal there; if both taillights now light up, you know that the problem is upstream from that.  (Make sure you're not illuminating the brake lights, though!  Tap the brakes first so you can visually recognize the difference between the two bulbs.  Brake lights would shine much brighter.)

If the taillights DON'T work even when you've done this, try touching the hot end of the test wire to the taillight terminal on the headlight switch.  (Verify correct terminal with a continuity tester from the headlight switch to the hot contact in L or R bulb socket.)

If the taillights NOW work, this (to me) indicates a problem within the switch.  Many of these (once removed from the dash) can be opened and serviced by prying the metal clasps open.  Inside, you may discover that it's simply a burned contact, which can be cleaned up.  If the damage is worse, look for a replacement switch.
  • hudsonjeff
    hudsonjeff Senior Contributor
    I will hopefully will be driving it up to my shop Monday or tuesday and  checking it out.  Thanks for the help