Driveshaft issues with lowering?

ratwasp
ratwasp Member
edited September 2017 in HUDSON

Anyone have driveshaft issues lowering Stepdown?  put 2-3" drop blocks on my '54 Wasp and seems the driveshaft might be a bit compounded, already had it shortened once. 

Please no comments about NOT lowering lol.

Comments

• 54 wasp a 2-piece like the 49?
    I cant remember where the center universal of the two piece was before I ripped mine out.
    is it just to the rear of the circular key hole mid chassis that the drive shaft passes through? As pictured in pics below.

Im not sure for stock parts as im heavily modifying everything under the car but thought I would post as it may be of help.

I have gone a bit over what you are looking at doing with C-notching so the diff will sit further up in the car.
    Im not using stock drive shaft due to the extra power increase of my build but it will be 2 piece (thinking Jag or Holden).

The way we have designed everything its looking like the front drive shaft will be  running pretty flat from the trans and through the key hole. this bit should always be stationary and not be effected by rising or lowering the car.

As for the second part of the shaft after the key hole.
    We have done it so it should have room to allow travel of rising and lowering the car. Whilst also taking in to count with scrub line encase of a tire blow out.
    Looking like this can all be done with out altering the floor pan under the rear seats. I already had to cut some floor out of the trunk to rise the dif up and lower the car further.

As with all drive shafts you should add a drive shaft loop for safety. Here in NZ its a legal requirement for certification.

pic above is at lowest air out height. we can adjust the lowest air out between 3,4 or 5inch by undoing a few bolts that hold the bags. But with luck this pick might give you an idea of clearances and angles for the second shaft.

more info and pics on my build thread in sig.
  • Nice work.  That is helpful, yes the Wasp has a 2-piece driveshaft I think the stress is at the join of the two..

• trans out put yoke and the diffs pinion yoke parallel?
    I found this rocker crawler site helpful.
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

got pics to show your issue?