PRO 15

Rocket
Rocket Senior Contributor
could some one here tell me something about pro 15 is this some type of paint and is it better then powder coating I am having my frame sand blasted and would like to know the best thing to put on it thanks

Comments

• Rocket , I believe you mean POR 15 (Paint Over Rust  15)   This product is excellent for undercoating frames, chassis parts and anything else needing rust protection underneath the car.  If you buy it, try getting the quart container as the gallon one is generally more than you would need doing the average car. If you still need more,get another quart.    USE GLOVES and eye protection when painting it on. Put on old crappy clothes as this won't come off fabric. This stuff will NOT come off with regular solvents as it is not really a paint but a sealer and rust inhibitor. If you do get some on hands ,it will have to wear off.   If you want to use this product in areas other than the underside of you car be warned it is not UV resistant. In other words sunlight breaks this down. Otherwise it is a great product.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There are other options out there. I used to use POR-15 but do not any longer. Also, painting over rust without removing it is someone's pipe dream.  It looks good for a while but ultimately "rust never sleeps"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wcn3rJIxic

I have also used a paint called Rust Bullet with good results.
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    Thanks very much guys I am going to have my frame powder coated after hearing what you guys had to say Tom.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    One comment on powder coating.  Make sure you are careful with any sharp edges.  I had a bumper on my Jeep J20 pickup powder coated and it looks great, until around one the sharp corners water got under it and it just started bubbling and peeled up, no fixing that.   grind any sharp edges if you can.
  • I have used Lizard skin on cars and will be using it on my Hudson. great stuff that reduces noise and heat considerably. Easy to apply and clean up. Can be used anywhere. can be painted over. 
  • If you powder coat , shop around. Every shop will produce different results. It's a good way to go, but as with many things , it's in the prep.  Becareful where you jack or put on a hoist. 
    And watch your grounding when you get to the electrics. You'll need to grind to bare metal to get a ground. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    How does that "lizard skin" work and where can you find it?  
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

This stuff is like high tech bed liner or in the old days one might call it undercoating.  as with any product be sure you understand the product, its intended use and how it applied to your application.  I am only saying this as once you go forward it is very difficult and expensive to go back.  Also remember it will have a thickness to it that might interfere with things......  eyes open it the best way forward.  Not knocking it but with some of these coatings it is very difficult and time consuming to remove.

Jay

• Been using POR-15 since the 80's. I one time painted some excess on a rusty heat shield I had laying around and purposely left it outside. I finally shot it out after 4 years but it never rusted through the coating. I used their gas tank kit on the Terraplane in 1997 and 20 years later the tank still hasn't leaked and coating is still on the inside of the tank. One thing is you must follow the directions. If you don't you won't be happy with it.
  • JasonNC said:
    How does that "lizard skin" work and where can you find it?  
    You can pick it up at Summit or off the official site.
    Summit Link

Its safe water based stuff so you dont need to worry about all the normal safety gears when spraying it and cleaning up is easy with water.

Basically you do the normal prep work cleaning everything up. then Spray the stuff on a few times until its about 1mm thick i guess. it comes with a depth gauge to make it easier.
    If you are doing sound and thermal then you lay down sound first. total thickness would be about 2mm thick or as they say about as thick as an american dime.

You can do anywhere you want protection nice and fast. So in doors, under dash, interior, exterior, under car, under hood, fenders, under floors etc. 
    Once dried it can handle flex and a lot of abuse so stone chips etc dont seem to happen.

I find it actually works out cheaper in the end than say dynamat sheets etc. Its takes a fraction of the time to apply as well. Also you can get in to pretty much anywhere and the results are legit.

With my hudson project I will be coating pretty much everything other than the outside visible panels. So behind rocker panels, under fenders, full interior & trunk, under car & hood etc. And since I will have the exhaust so tucked up the thermal one will be great. heck there favorite marketing trick for it is a grill half coated in lizard skin. they place a cube of ice on each side of the grill thats set at 300 and whilst the untreated side quickly melts the other side just sits there.

Sound info with videos. http://www.lizardskin.com/sound-control-insulation.html
    Heat info with that ice video: http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html
  • Any one use chassic saver on the frame of a Hudson ?