'46-'47 Battery Tray

LanceB
LanceB Senior Contributor

Can anyone share with me a picture of the battery tray location/mounting for a '46 or '47.  Mine was relocated and I would like to place it back to get it a bit further away from the block.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wherever you relocate it, make sure there is ample vertical clearance for the battery terminals.  Many are the '42-7 Hudsons with corroded hoods where the battery terminals welded themselves to the hoods because the wrong battery had been purchased.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The following pictures were found on the INTERNET... represent where the original location for the battery... As JON B said ... many have hoods with battery welding scars due to the terminals contacting the hood....
  • LanceB
    Thanks for your help guys, and I was looking at the clearance and I do not want to be anywhere close to the hood.
  • Lance, If your going the 12 volt route? Use the GM type side terminal battery and that eliminates the hood shorting out problem. If sticking with 6 volts you may be able to put a rubber pad on top of the battery?  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    One critical concern for you is the actual size of the battery itself.

I think the standard size battery that fits most 6 volt Hudsons from '34 up,  is Group 2, but for the "low hood" Hudsons of the early to mid forties,  you would need a 2L (which was the original spec.)

Group 2 batteries measure 10.25"L x 6.75"W x 9"H

Group 2L batteries measure 10.25"L x 6.75"W x8" H.  

Height dimension is to the top of the terminal.

Antique Auto Battery Co. may still make the 2L but I think it's a rather expensive repro of the original "Willard" battery, so be prepared to pay through the nose.  Check around; maybe someone else is making a 2L.  However, there are also some substitute "low terminal" ones that may be available:

Group 2LF measures 10.25 x 6.75x 8 and is offered by Antique Auto Battery but I think it says "Ford" on the side so, there too, you'll pay a premium.  Also, the terminals may be located in the wrong place for a Hudson; this needs checking out.

Group U19L or 19L   measures  8.19L x 6.68 W x 7.44 H; I think it's made for an old 6v Volkswagens so a lot of people sell them.   It's offered by Interstate.  U.S. Battery, Continental and Centennial also appear to manufacture Group 19L batteries and there may be others as well.  Also try Johnson Controls.  Obviously it's 2" shorter than the original, so you'll have to stuff some wood blocks in there to take up the slack!  

Needless to say, an Optima battery will fit with no problems!
  • LanceB
    Again all, you guys are the best.  Thanks for all the help and information.