49 Commodore Rear Leaf Springs

Trying to remove the rear end on my 49 Commodore 8 but I'm not sure how to open up the front pivot mounts for the leaf springs.  Help on the rear shackles would be great too.  Answer is probably staring me in the face...

Thanks!

Comments

• Josh, Just use the rear spring shackles for rear end removal.  The front bolts really won't work in your favor for rear end removal.   First remove rear tires. Second, remove the Panhard bar from the rear end on the rear end side and spin off the shock absorber nuts on the spring /rear end support plate. Disconnect the brake line and the U join t on the driveline at the front of the rear end. Jack up the car on the perimeter frame ahead of the rear end near the frame kickup.Place jackstands here and proceed to remove the nuts from the bottom of the support plate under each side of the rear end. You should have 2 nuts on each end of the U bolts. One is a jamb nut and the other is a securing nut. After that proceed to loosen the rear shackle bushing/nuts .   Once they are loosened the entire spring and rear end assembly will come down. Be careful cause it's heavy.My suggestion is to place a floor jack under the rear end prior to loosening the shackle bushing/nuts. Remove rear end . Done!