jet motor install into pre 47 cars

russmaas
russmaas Senior Contributor

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some info on installing a jet motor in my 37 pickup. I want to put on a top load shifter as originally was seen with the truck. Catch is only the 52-54 6 bolts double lever trans can accept a top load shifter as I been told.  The jet has a T82 4 bolt trans.  The bolt pattern for the jet to hook up a bellhousing is by itself and not close to the 48-54 pattern. I heard that some people have had put a jet motor into their pre-47 cars and was wondering how they set it up. Any leads? thanks, Russ

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Russ,

You are correct about the Jet being a good engine to transplant into the late thirties Hudsons, I know people who have gone in that direction.  But I don't know which transmission they used.

And, the Borg-Warner double lever trans., introduced in '52 on the regular (big) Hudsons, will indeed accept a Jeep or Studebaker truck floor shift lever.

And that transmission will indeed fit into a mid to late thirties Hudson, because I know someone with a '35 who has a (later) eight cyl. engine with the double lever shifter, and it all fits.

BUT, I don't know if (as you say) the std. B-W double lever will mate to the Jet engine!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I thought the 54 had a 4 bolt trans , bolted from outside , not inside bell housing.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    4 bolt top cover
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    russmaas said:
    4 bolt top cover

Ok , now I understand. Can't help