Hudsons in the Heartland

Comments

• For what it's worth the building is still in use that was once the Dixon, Ill  Hudson  dealership.
  • What's the deal with that blue one?  Why is it not a notchback like the club coupe I have sitting in my garage?!  It has a long roof/short trunk like the sedans.  Is that a Special thing?!
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    What's the deal with that blue one?  Why is it not a notchback like the club coupe I have sitting in my garage?!  It has a long roof/short trunk like the sedans.  Is that a Special thing?!
    What's the deal with that blue one?  Why is it not a notchback like the club coupe I have sitting in my garage?!  It has a long roof/short trunk like the sedans.  Is that a Special thing?!

Yes , Hornet " Special " Club Sedan I think they called them.
    I had one , a car they used up left over parts at the end of the run.
    I think a Wasp body on the Hornet frame with Hornet front end.
    Combination of Hornet and Wasp trim I think.
  • Steve, This is a brougham.   This style of Hornet was only made for 1 year-1954. It was only available as a Hornet Special. Broughams had been around since 1948 but never on a Commodore or a Hornet.  This is a rare bird. You don't see many Hornet Special broughams. Some folks call them a two door sedan but Hudson called them broughams.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Sorry fellows, but for the 1954 campaign Hudson called the 2 door sedan a "Club Sedan"
  • Wow - I learn something new everyday on this site!  That's GOT to be a rare car.  

I actually always wondered what my car would look like with the long roofline, which I think looks great on the sedans.  However, now that I see it, I think the notchback is better for the coupe.

Seems kind of contradictory to have a brougham of a Hornet Special, which was supposed to be a cheaper offering.  '54 was a strange year for Hudson...
  • So, if the rear of that car was from a Wasp, is it a safe assumption that Wasps never came in notchbacks?  

It's very interesting to me that they used leftover parts from the 2 cars  It's like a Frankenstein car!

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Although I have both a sedan ('50) and coupe ('54) and like both, but personally I do like the long sleek profile of the sedan.  Also, from what old timers have told me, the '54 2 door sedans (whatever you call it) were popular for racing and with the low numbers they became rode hard and put up wet......
  • 53jetman said:
    Sorry fellows, but for the 1954 campaign Hudson called the 2 door sedan a "Club Sedan"
    Marketing BS Jerry  .LOL  It's still a brougham. :)
  • Dan, that's my understanding as well, which makes me feel like my coupe is so special.  It's basically spent it's entire life since the 60s in garages, so it's in very nice original shape.  When people at car shows comment "wow, you never see these!," I usually respond with "because they crashed them all when they raced them!" :)
  • This is the sad fate that befell many a' '54 Hornet.  Although maybe it's better to go out in a blaze of glory...
    Related image

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Special edition shortened wheelbase model!
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Wonder if the factory put that 53 bumper on the 54 or if it was done by the race team
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Wonder how the driver fared?
  • That photo recorded what happened after Arden Mounts slammed into Don Duckworth at a Nascar race in about 1954. Both survived due to seat belts.    Mounts died in 2003