Question about setting timing.

Question: I'm going to try to set the timing on my 54 Hornet this week, if my dad can find his timing gun. The book says to use the UDC 1-6 mark, which I interpret to mean I can use any of the 6 marks depending on... something. The 1st mark was painted white, which I assume is where it was set up before. Should I still use the 1st mark, if I'm now running Twin H instead of single carb?? Why are there 6 marks?? Also, where exactly should the line be in relation to the 2 pointers?

No automatic alt text available

Comments

• dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

The white mark will work fine for using your timing light, however in my experience Hudson flat heads seem to respond very well to timing advance. On my 308 I run the highest octane fuel I can get. Run the car about 30 - 40 mph and open the accelerator wide open. Keep advancing the timing until you hear the motor ping,...then retard the timing slightly until the pinging goes away. Go back and check the timing with a light, in my case it is about 6 - 7 degs BTDC

Dave

• Since I installed Twin H, the motor is already pinging at high RPM under load.  So it seems like I got that step already done!  LOL!  I've never messed around w/ timing before, so this will be a learning experience for me.  My dad should have some idea what he's doing, but I thought it would be helpful to get some experienced advice before we dive in.

When I'm using the light, where should the white line be in relation to the "pointy things?"  (sorry, I don't know the terminology... indicators? Arrows?)  Should it be right on the edge of the rear one, if that makes sense?  In the picture, for instance, it's between the 2nd and 3rd marks, right?
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

Sounds about right, on a stepdown each line (mark ) is 2 degs of advance. Make sure your vacuum line from the intake to the distributor is connected.

Too much advance will cause two symptoms,..pinging at full throttle as well as the motor will kick back against the starter while cranking

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I thought the engine advance was to be checked without the vacuum advance being connected.
  • Park is correct, DISconnect the vacuum advance and be sure to plug it. Also, I have found that you need to lay the timing light straight to the hole in the bell housing, other wise "parallax" (the offset angle of the strobe light and your eyes) will cause you to mistime it. 

It it is also good to check your mechanical advance in the distributor too. The springs after 60 plus years will stretch and wear out....
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I started using a vacuum gage several years ago to time the motor.
    http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html

• terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Kdancy said:
    I started using a vacuum gage several years ago to time the motor.
    http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html

Same, I just don't like the inherent errors in trying to time using the timing marks what with parallelax and aging eyesight.....Have had good success using a vacuum gauge on my '36 Terraplane (212 with 'high' compression of around 7.3:1), looking for the mamimum reading then backing it off 1" or so. No pinking heard at all at sea level using our lowest grade of fuel here in NZ which is 91 equating to a weak batch of US 87.
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Correct on the vacuum line, disconnect for engine timing. however he should check to make sure it was connected  before road testing