1929 Hudson Parts needed (Please help)

I am in need of a cowl chrome/stainless band, a Marvel model E carb and complete heat riser setup, vacuum tank, and an outside windshield visor. I'm sure Ill need a little more but this list should do for now. I have been diligently searching for the above for 6+ months.... Any help would be great! I have heard of replacement carbs such as the Ball/Carter updraft BB1 being used, worst case any info on the conversion would be nice as well.   Thank you so much! 

Comments

• I hope someone here can help, this car is so worthy of it.
    All I have spare is a steering column dash attachment, top dash panel and rocker cover, with roller rockers, and an oil pump.
  • Jeff, I actually need one of those items! My steering column dash attachment is an after thought or quick "fix" I think, can you attach a pic? 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wurger, you might want to mention your approximate location, on the slim chance that one of our readers near you has a pile of old 'twenties stuff that you could root through in search of your parts.  If he thought you were within driving distance and could come over and "pick" yourself, he might be more inclined to step in and tell you about his cache. 
  • I'm in Walla Walla Washington, I know of a guy with a mess of Essex stuff and some earlier Hudson sedans 28's 3 hours away, picked through his goodies but the Hudson have been striped of everything but body parts.... Hell I'd be okay if people just wanted to come by and give me some advise or see what I am working with.... If only these pre war birds were as common as the mid century models....
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    1929 was Hudson's best-selling year (Essex was #3 best selling car that year) so at least you have a popular Hudson.  There are plenty of '29's out there, they just aren't driven to shows that often anymore.  And there are still parts, and guys who have technical knowledge about the cars.  You just have to search them out.

One guy in the Club who traditionally has a lot of 1920's Hudson stuff for sale, is Carl Weber in Massachusetts.  Have you tried him?  Dave Kostansek in Ohio has dealt in that stuff, and if he doesn't have what you want, he might be able to steer you in the right direction.  Have you checked with other '29 owners to see if they know about any parts hoards in your area?  I see 1929 owners in Auburn and Grand Coulee listed in the national roster, you might try calling them.  One '29 owner often knows of others in his area, so you may uncover a whole bunch of them by calling around.
  • Sorry it's taken me so long to check back in. I'll dig out the Column drop tomorrow and post a pic.
    If you want it and can't find one up there, it's yours for the shipping cost, don't want anything for it, but it is a solid heavy item.
    I'd imagine it would cost a bit to get up there.
  • No problem at all!  I look forward to seeing it, thank you! 
  • Today I located the box it's in, but didn't get time to dig it out, so should be tomorrow.
    I've just had a big life change, so stuff is a piled up. I have a small mountain to move to get to it.
  • No problem Jeff, I know life has changed but it seems like its for the better! Thanks again buddy! 
  • It's definitely for the better. If the Sun was out a little more in my rainy town, I'd be getting all my stuff organised a lot quicker, haha.
    Just dug out the colour drop. It's not as heavy as I thought.
    Pics won't upload. I'll try using another phone.
  • Ha, said they didn't work, but they popped up anyway.
  • Damn! I have that minus the U-bolt thing....Thanks though Jeff!  I'm looking for what ever this thing is in the pic.... This car is quickly going to become a 1929ish period correct custom/coach build. I think 90% of the folks on here are post war to mid century and those of the folks with parts for a 29 Hudson aren't giving them up, or more than likely, Like another fella told me, "the parts you see for sale are the ones everyone has , the ones you don't see are hard to find and held on to for personal reserves". I've called places from Jersey to California and posted on here multiple times with no leads, I get alot of readers/viewers (203) is the current count and the only responses I get are from two gents from NZ and AU. Cant say I didn't try though... lol
  • Werger: Did you not get my PM regarding the "E" carb? J Lombard

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have new replacement parts, including window winders, and the column clamp.  the clamp is originally die-cast pot metal, and very bri9ttel.  another thing you will need is the steering wheel boss.  I can get these made on order @ U.S.$275 EACH. 
    Geoff,  (also on N.Z.)

• Jesus still no leads! I appreciate the offer on those items Geoff and I am sure that the craftsmanship is grand but what I really need now are the parts to make it go, I've got an offer on a trade for a 41 Pontiac 8 fast back, maybe I should go that route since parts support is lacking here.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You may be happier with a newer car which (with any luck) will have parts that are easier to find.  We Hudsonites often have to "network" a lot, to find what we need.  Or create the stuff from scratch, as Geoff does.  The internet is a wondrous thing but nowadays people have gotten used to the idea that it is a quick and foolproof way to find anything.  The forum is great, but it's no replacement for patiently shooting out a dozen e-mails and phone calls to known Hudson vendors around the country, who are sitting on big piles of various hard-to-find parts, and don't deal with computers.
  • I'm no stranger to old cars as I have 3 that are prewar. I have been trying to network for 6 + months even to the point of finding a carburetor and heat riser then being told, " well...... I might need them someday" Its been eaiser find parts for a 29 Oakland and they went belly up in 32ish... I would hate to not make this car original and I may need to sell it to keep a clear conscious, its just way to nice to do anything but restore. This site does have a lot of resources unfortunately just not for my type of Hudson.... Any trades out there for a 2 door Hornet <span>:smiley:</span>  <span>:wink:</span>   

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The folks who deal in the "older" Hudson parts are Carl Weber (Mass.) and Dave Kostansek (Ohio).  If they don't have what you seek, they may be able to direct you to someone who does.  (Their contact info is in the National roster).  Unfortunately, as Geoff points out, there are certain "pot metal" parts -- certain carburetor bodies as well as the '29 steering hub -- which essentially dissolve at some point.  (Thus his repro project for the hubs and various other pot metal parts.)  This condition can be dangerous if, while you're driving, the steering wheel hub takes a notion to fracture.

By the way, have you tried the Hudson Super Six Yahoo Group?  They're mostly members of the H-E-T but are very much into the 1920's and earlier Hudsons.  You might get some information there.  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HudsonSuperSix16-29/info
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    And have you joined the H.E.T. Club?
  • Wurger. Get on to Yahoo Groups 1916-1929 Hudson Super Six. It's a on line community dedicated to those years of hudson cars. 
    Tons of help and resources there. The site your on now is fantastic, but pretty much dedicated to them there new fangled Hudson cars. 
    Good luck. 
  • Wurger:
    I offered you a Marvel "E" & sent you pics but you haven't followed up. If you still need the carb you can respond.
    regards  J Lombard
  • Hello All, I'll give the Yahoo group a try, J Lombard, since you don't have a heat riser I am a little bit apprehensive should I buy the carb and never find a heat riser and have to go another route i.e downdraft it would sit, so I am dilegently looking for one, when I find it I will let you know asap. I have seen the carbs come up for sale now and again but never a heatriser for a 29 Hudson (yet) I know I will need things from Geoff eventually but need to work on one thing at a time, so I am focusing on the drive train and undercarriage, other wise I will get overwhelmed. ( been there done that) Oh and yes Geoff I am a member of the H.E.T <span>:smile:</span>   
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2017
    Doesn't the "heat riser" for these old carbs consist of a tube?  I seem to recall hearing someone say he'd replaced the heat riser in his '29 carb with some sort of stainless steel tube that he had someone make.  Or, maybe I am thinking of another part of the carb.

By the way, have you checked with the several antique auto carburetor companies on the internet?  Here is a carburetor company that says they have heat riser SLEEVES in stock for the '29 Hudson: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Heattubes.htm  
  • Wurger
    Wurger Member
    edited September 2017
    Heat riser/Heat control, I've seen it called both, its a device that sits on top of the carburetor, (which sits low) and rises up and inward towards and connecting to the manifold in sort of an upside down "L" shape, if only the 29 Essex could have used the same style...... because I have one LOL.   Click on the pics for the Hudson ones listed in the l;ink below, they have sold ( over priced from what I hear)  but it will give you an idea, thanks Jon   http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Heatrisers.htm 

• Wurger
    Wurger Member
    edited September 2017
    Tried ringing those two folks along with  Bill Albright and got alot of rings but no voice mail or pick-ups the curse of the 29 is strong lol, I'm standing by for an approval from the yahoo group as we speak... Maybe that will be my big break!   
  • Hi Wurger. ED Moore here,  John mentioned the Venturi tube, that is inside of the cast iron marvel heatriser.  They tend to burn out which allows exhaust to enter enter the intake. Make sure you check. The Venturi tube before installing the heat riser. I had one made out of stainless as John mentioned because I didn't,t know they were available then.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    There is a Steve James in the USA that is stripping a complete 1929 Hudson and selling the parts. Sounds like a scam. I wonder who owns the car. Wish I could post a photo. Barry
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    There is a Steve James in the USA that is stripping a complete 1929 Hudson and selling the parts. Sounds like a scam. I wonder who owns the car. Wish I could post a photo. Barry
    You can post a photo Barry - I got the same one 5 times from you

Dave Y
    NZ
  • Is that photo not a 29 Essex?