letters from Bernie Siegfried

bull_islander
bull_islander Expert Adviser
In case these would be of interest to read by anyone.  I found these two letters from Bernie Siegfried from where my grandfather had corresponded with him back in 1968.  Discussions were on pistons, cylinder heads, and compression.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Wow, this is a gold mine of technical information written by a guy who was right there at Hudson while history was being made!  I wish there were some way that we could transcribe this into digital text and store it in some easily-accessible file where Hudson people could go, to see it.  As well as letters and documents from Hudson people on original factory specs, restoration tips, etc.!  In other words, a clearinghouse of valuable technical information.  I could volunteer for the job, but it would have to be in my 3rd or 4th lifetime!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    As you say, a treasure trove from the Master himself.  Very difficult reading the pages in blue though. Can anyone come up with a way of transcribing this, or will it be a case of painstakingly re-typing.  would make a great insert ofor the W.T.N. 
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    His writing is pretty clear I reckon.
  • Geoff, you can change your pc screen to black and white - change the written into white and the background to black cheers Ken 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    When I return home I will retype these or turn them into BE pictures that are easily read and add them to the letters from Bernie on my Hudson Website. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

I was able to meet Bernie Siegfried a number of times at his home in Liberty, MO back in the mid 1980's when my work with the railroad took me down to the Kansas City area.  Casually talking with him revealed he indeed was a gold mine of information on the Hudson Motor Car Co.  I believe he was a mechanical engineer for Hudson.  Thanks for sharing these letters and any efforts to make reading them a bit easier! 

Dan

• 54Hollywood
    54Hollywood Senior Contributor
    Terrific information.  Thanks very much for posting.  I kinda wish Bernie had said something about the H-145 iron heads because that's what I'm running on our Hornet.  Thanks again

Tim in WI.  
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

Great source of info Steve, thanks for posting

Dave Eddie

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There are a number of stories and the letter Bernie sent to me after his stroke on Ken Cates resto site: http://www.hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/Engine.htm