Straight 8 tranny question

Hello guy's

I have got an 1951 straight 8 engine and I am looking for a manual transmission to go with this engine.

Does anybody know that the early transmission that went with a straight 8 have the same bolt patern as the later ones?

Ore even if the transmission of the six cylinder engines would bolt on.

Thank you
Philips Maeckel

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    48 -51 single lever transmissions are all the same.6 and 8
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Couldn't darn near any Hudson manual transmission (1940-54) fit, if the correct bellhousing was used?  1941 and up, and the 1952-54 Borg Warners?  I am not an expert in these years, but merely asking the question.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I have a 1950 single lever O/D in my 39. Had to mod the X frame for it to fit. And I believe they used my original bell housing
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    The Hudson single levers bolt to the bell housing with 6 bolts from the inside of the housing.  The mid-52 on with the double levers used a different bell housing and the tranny bolted on with 4 bolts from the outside of the housing.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited August 2017
    Hudson still made the 8's in 1952.  1952 is when the Borg Warner double-levers came in, right?  So the 52 (and up?) B-W double levers would fit the Hudson 8's -- if you used the 1952 bellhousing -- no?

The cool thing about using a '52 setup, is that with the B-W manual transmission, you can stick in a floor shifter from a Jeep or Studebaker truck, I believe.
  • Okay great!