borg warnner auto trans

Anyone ever had the pleasure of taking a auto BG trans out of a 1954 wasp, the work shop manual shows some special tools , I am sure I can borrow them from my local parts store :-) My trans works very well it just leaks from the front seal (a lot)

Mike

Comments

• 70 views and no one has taken one of these out and put it back in, guess I am on my own. I'll pass along what I learn.
    Mike
  • Val
    Val Member
    Mike, you might want to contact Dr Doug WIldrick and see can they provide you some assistance.
  • From what I understand, the BW transmissions are a small fraction of the transmissions installed, so it makes sense that not a lot of people might have this info.

Also, does your Wasp have anti-lock brakes?? :)
  • Well I read the work shop manual on how to remove the BG trans, the first thing was to have a cradle to hold the trans so it can be removed straight back. Pix below, once the trans was free from the torque converter I noticed that on of the ears that drive pump in the trans was missing (not good) Yep the front seal was as hard as a rock. So it looks like I need a torque converter. Any one of any BG trans laying around. iceblade the car had power brakes the master was trashed, I replaced it with a GM unit the found out that the Hudson pedal ratio was wrong so I built a new assy the pedal was some thing I had :-))

Mike 
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Of course the BW trans I have is missing the torque converter - it may have other parts that are usable.

don't know your location, I am in SLC, UT. Would like to move out the trans.
    Gert Kristiansen