Essex Super Six Engine

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to put a value on a complete Essex Super Six engine and gearbox that a dealer currently has for sale.

The engine is complete with all ancilaries however the carburetor is broken, the gear box is missing its gear lever.
It could potentially be running with very little work as it was said to be running before the car it came out of was "modernised" for wedding use. The engine has been kept dry and turns over by hand.

I do not want to pay over the odds but I am currently domiciled in the Republic of Ireland where there are very few Essex's and no spare parts or cars for breaking etc.

Any comments would be most welcome, I have offered €1100 but that was declined.

Steve

Comments

• Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Get engine serial number,  determine year and then evaluate your need. Serial numb on left side of engine block at front just below cyl head.     Describe broken carb, some can be expensive.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Unless you have a crying need for the engine (beyond merely wanting to keep a spare around), I'd just sit back and let the dealer come back with a counter offer.  After all, you just said it: "there are very few Essex's" in the Republic of Ireland.  Thus, as far as the dealer is concerned, you may represent the only person interested in his engine.

Remember, however, that Essexes were assembled in a plant in England, therefore there ARE more than a few of them (and, presumably parts), kicking around not far from Ireland.
  • Thanks for your comments.

The carb is snapped where it bolts to the manifold, someone previously tried lifting the engine here!

The reason I want it is my car does not have an Essex engine fitted at present, though I do have the original and it requires a rebuild, I thought this might be a stop gap solution and at the end of the day I would have a spare.

Steve

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    If it's a 1928 engine, then the original carb is a Stewart 25. These come up on eBay (USA) quite often, for about$50.00
    In my opinion, the possible purchase is suspect until the engine has been fully checked out & heard running.

Dave Y (28 Essex Coupe)