Again!

Nevada Hudson
Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor

Why is it every couple weeks the HET forum rejects my password and username?

Can't it just be left alone?

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited August 2017
    It is left alone; nothing on the forum has been changed at all.

Let me know what error you are actually seeing & the browser you are using because I can tell you that the fault isn't coming from this end
  • Nevada Hudson

Quote: "ERROR"

"username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet."

I haven't changed anything on my end.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    edited August 2017
    Which forum are you talking about as well I should have asked? This one?

As I said there have been zero changes to this forum for quite a while; the last one was when it was sent "secure" which was a few weeks back now.

What browser are you using?

And in terms of leaving it alone; changes are only made when required or when "forced" upon us. This is a stable forum running on OpenSource software and it , generally, behaves itself so I don't need to fix things

• Nevada Hudson

Not this forum, as you can see, I'm on it.

It is the HET Club forum.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    I did wonder .. again the same applies over there. No changes at all around login however the library software has been updated.

Are you using a different browser at all? Sometimes auto-complete can catch you out (it has me on occasion) when it fills in an "old" password.

Let me know what browser you are using please Ray and if this was the browser you last used to login on which was on the 10th August
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Paul, is it just a matter of his clearing his cache or whatever they call that storehouse of passwords for "automatic entry" to various websites?  The bummer is that -- once they're cleared -- he would then have to type all his passwords into his various websites manually, until his system "learned" them again.  At that point entry to all websites would again be automatic.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I've never had a problem logging in to either website.  Very rarely am I ever 'logged out', where I have to re-enter my user or pw.
  • PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Hi Jon,

Quite possibly, as I have said this has caught me out before now :)
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Paul, thanks for all the good (your time, your bandwidth, no charge) work that you do in keeping things up and running. I'm sure the OP also meant to add these sentiments to his post.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Have internet explorer and google chrome.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Actually the same thing happens to me periodically too for some unknown reason so I just create a new password...
  • Some virus protection & other browser security applications will clear the cache, passwords, cookies and other stored data periodically if the tick box is ticked.

Whilst this means you are a bit more secure it also means you need to remember your credentials.

None would make it so you need to resend/reset  your password if you are indeed using the correct authentication credentials. the issue here is normally between seat and keyboard.

I have not used the forums "Forgot my Password" function but im guessing it sends you an email with a password reset link.
    If you get this then at least you know the user name is correct.

Just confirming you are using your email address as your user ID not your display name?

Anyway once you click on the change password link and then go ahead and log in I would recommend you go to the control panel and then change password once more just to make sure its locked in and its the password you wanted.
    Then make sure you dont forget the password and remembering its case sensitive.
  • Some virus protection & other browser security applications will clear the cache, passwords, cookies and other stored data periodically if the tick box is ticked.

Whilst this means you are a bit more secure it also means you need to remember your credentials.

None would make it so you need to resend/reset  your password if you are indeed using the correct authentication credentials. the issue here is normally between seat and keyboard.

I have not used the forums "Forgot my Password" function but im guessing it sends you an email with a password reset link.
    If you get this then at least you know the user name is correct.

Just confirming you are using your email address as your user ID not your display name?

Anyway once you click on the change password link and then go ahead and log in I would recommend you go to the control panel and then change password once more just to make sure its locked in and its the password you wanted.
    Then make sure you dont forget the password and remembering its case sensitive.