looking for some info on engine install !

Looking for some help on the degree of incline a 7X motor needs to sit at in the engine compartment ??? front to back ?? or level ????? I'm connected a 700 R tranny and 9" rear end.

Thank you

Ikesdaughter  

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Level left to right and 5 degrees downward front to back using protractor on front of cyl head.. Good choice for drive train....
  • Thank you sir :) Yes I do think it will turn out nice !! 
    I appreciate your knowledge wishing I could call my dad on these situations... It would have been better if I started this project while he was still here..... 

Thank you again !

Leeann = Honest Ike's kid :)
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Leeann, This is the plaque that I display with my 1954 Hudson Hornet Special.  Thought you might want to see it.  It will soon be restored in the same configuration that it was in when Ike worked on it. Sometime next year I expect that there will be an article about it in the WTN.

In May of 1954 Hudson Motor Company was sold to American Motors Corporation (AMC).  Hudson started to sell the Hudson Hornet Special in three body styles shortly after the transfer of the company to AMC.  They were to be less expensive than the current Hudson Hornet.  Cost was reduced by removal of some interior stainless and some outer body trim.  Keep in mind that any Hudson option items could be ordered for the Hornet Specials.  Records review document that 78 of the Hudson Hornet Special Coupes were produced in the Detroit facility rather than at Kenosha.  Seven have survived today.

George Lauder of Winnetica California was a long time Hudson collector and a member of the Hudson, Essex, Terraplane club.  Over the years George had purchased more than thirty Hudson’s (specializing in racing cars or ones with 7X engines) that he kept on his property near the Hollywood Studios in the hills east of Los Angeles. This car was purchased by George from Wayne Graefen in 1968.  Wayne purchased the car from the original owner in the late fifties.  The car was sold new in Los Angeles and has always been in California.  I am the forth care-taker of this Hudson.

Wayne, as a young college student often visited with local friend and big time “National winning” drag racer Ike Smith.  It was Ike that prepared the car for racing and continued to work on the car after it was sold to George.  Items such as “equalizer bars,”  “exhaust cut-out,” “chrome  head studs caps” and Lite weight 1954 Hudson Jet Brown Cloth seats were added to make the car an M/Stock auto (M/SA) class winner in 1967 at Irwindale drag Strip. This is a “Numbers Matching” car painstakingly restored using the exacting standards of Hudson’s 7X engineering.

To their everlasting credit and for the high caliber of their work, a small cadre of Hudson lovers have added, and continue to add, several foot notes to racing history; and, the Hudson drag racing story always involves Jack Clifford, Ike Smith and Chuck Parcell wherever tales of the inverted bathtubs are told.

Ike Smith was the person responsible for the successes of Chuck Parcell’s “Black Beauty,” a 54 Hudson coupe that has never been beaten in competition over the last two years of steady weekend racing 1967/1968.  Ike was racing and setting records with his own 54 Hudson “The Beast” at this time winning his class at the Winter Nationals at an almost unbelievable 12.5 seconds at 106 mph.  It is said that Ike could modify a Hudson “Cast Iron” transmission permitting the car to do a “wheel stand.”

Wayne, partnering with another California drag racing pioneer, Press Kale started KGap and provided parts and services for Hudson’s. Data from above was taken from the July 1969 issue of Hot Rod Magazine and official Hudson History sites.

• dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser
    Interesting stuff !! Wondering how much a 54 Hornet Special would weigh, when prepped for racing ?
  • Leeann, This is the plaque that I display with my 1954 Hudson Hornet Special.  Thought you might want to see it.  It will soon be restored in the same configuration that it was in when Ike worked on it. Sometime next year I expect that there will be an article about it in the WTN.

In May of 1954 Hudson Motor Company was sold to American Motors Corporation (AMC).  Hudson started to sell the Hudson Hornet Special in three body styles shortly after the transfer of the company to AMC.  They were to be less expensive than the current Hudson Hornet.  Cost was reduced by removal of some interior stainless and some outer body trim.  Keep in mind that any Hudson option items could be ordered for the Hornet Specials.  Records review document that 78 of the Hudson Hornet Special Coupes were produced in the Detroit facility rather than at Kenosha.  Seven have survived today.

George Lauder of Winnetica California was a long time Hudson collector and a member of the Hudson, Essex, Terraplane club.  Over the years George had purchased more than thirty Hudson’s (specializing in racing cars or ones with 7X engines) that he kept on his property near the Hollywood Studios in the hills east of Los Angeles. This car was purchased by George from Wayne Graefen in 1968.  Wayne purchased the car from the original owner in the late fifties.  The car was sold new in Los Angeles and has always been in California.  I am the forth care-taker of this Hudson.

Wayne, as a young college student often visited with local friend and big time “National winning” drag racer Ike Smith.  It was Ike that prepared the car for racing and continued to work on the car after it was sold to George.  Items such as “equalizer bars,”  “exhaust cut-out,” “chrome  head studs caps” and Lite weight 1954 Hudson Jet Brown Cloth seats were added to make the car an M/Stock auto (M/SA) class winner in 1967 at Irwindale drag Strip. This is a “Numbers Matching” car painstakingly restored using the exacting standards of Hudson’s 7X engineering.

To their everlasting credit and for the high caliber of their work, a small cadre of Hudson lovers have added, and continue to add, several foot notes to racing history; and, the Hudson drag racing story always involves Jack Clifford, Ike Smith and Chuck Parcell wherever tales of the inverted bathtubs are told.

Ike Smith was the person responsible for the successes of Chuck Parcell’s “Black Beauty,” a 54 Hudson coupe that has never been beaten in competition over the last two years of steady weekend racing 1967/1968.  Ike was racing and setting records with his own 54 Hudson “The Beast” at this time winning his class at the Winter Nationals at an almost unbelievable 12.5 seconds at 106 mph.  It is said that Ike could modify a Hudson “Cast Iron” transmission permitting the car to do a “wheel stand.”

Wayne, partnering with another California drag racing pioneer, Press Kale started KGap and provided parts and services for Hudson’s. Data from above was taken from the July 1969 issue of Hot Rod Magazine and official Hudson History sites.

Ol racer said:
    FYI
    Level left to right and 5 degrees downward front to back using protractor on front of cyl head.. Good choice for drive train....

• Thank you Brownie for this cool article including my dad ( IKE ) 

I scraped the idea of putting the 7x in a light weight Studebaker ! It just didn’t feel right..... so it going to be put in a Jet ! Where it should be...... My wish is to build a replica of my dad’s Jet..
    Right down to the Beast look !!! I think he would love that....... 

Danny, Guy, Perry and the rest of the Hudson Family are absolutely wonderful people and I’m excited to be a part of this group....
    I’m heading down to the desert to look at a 2 door jet next week..... I told Mark the owner to consider it sold........ I really don’t care about the condition, I’ll deal with the rust or what ever it needs..... the fact that it is a 2 door..... is y i told him ill  b down next week to get it...... so I’m pretty excited.......
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    2 Dr Jets are far & few between these days so I hope your search pans out well....
  • Ol racer said:
    2 Dr Jets are far & few between these days so I hope your search pans out well....
    Got the 2 door and getting it ready to put dads (Ike’s) 7X engine in it ! I’ll keep you updated thanks for all your help and I may be calling on you gentlemen for more info ??

• Ol racer said:
    ?? Got it and very excited about it ?