36 Terriblepain Issue

Uncle Josh
Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
edited July 2017 in HUDSON
OK, I have it timed correctly and it doesn't want to start and is backfiring through the carb.  I have my opinion, but what do you guys think?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Is the timing gear in good shape?  I knew a fellow who had timing problems off and on.  Turned out that the hub of the fiber gear was separating from the outer portion (with the gears).  Sometimes the outer section was in sync with the hub, and sometimes it would rotate slightly and then everything was out of whack.  I guess the break line was so narrow that it was hard to see the problem unless you looked very carefully.
  • Uncle Josh
    Good news bad news if it is.  I have a NOS on the shelf.  Bought 3 of them at an auction for $1 each.
  • allan
    allan Member
    if it's backfiring through carb the timing is off or valve stuck open.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    I will confess to having had this problem and, after much head-scratching, discovered that I had plug wires crossed. 
  • Uncle Josh
    Nope, it's wired correctly
  • Val
    Val Member
    Uncle Josh I would have to go with Allan on this one check your valves and be sure one is not stuck open
  • Uncle Josh
    Well, It's not that big a job and it makes no sense to run an 81 yr old fiber gear when I have a NOS on the shelf.  Bet it jumped time tho.  Will find out and let you all know.