Clutch and shifting issues

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Finally got the manual transmission into the 49 and adjusted the clutch per the repair manual.  Put in new clutch fluid and adjusted the shifter to meet my expectations as to where the gear stick should be in each gear.  Everything worked perfectly while the car was on jack stands, and actually worked well for the first ten minutes that I drove it.  But the longer I drove it, the harder the shifting became, especially downshifting to first gear.  I drove it to NAPA, which is about 10 miles away.  I got caught by every light between here and there and by the time I made it past the last light, it wouldn't go back into first, would barely go from second to third, and finally got stuck in neutral.  I had to coast into the NAPA parking lot.  Once I parked, it would shift into gear as long as I was sitting still.  After I backed up, the stupid thing wouldn't go into first.  The guy at NAPA crawled under the car and noticed that the shifter rod was moving to the left when I tried to shift gears.  He suggested that I put some washers on it to make it align with the transmission shifter better.  I ended up driving home in mostly second gear, occasionally it would let me shift into third.  At the end, I was restricted to driving in 3rd gear and the clutch had gone to the floorboard and wouldn't come up.  I coasted into my driveway and after it cooled, I was able to shift into first, but my clutch was engaging almost immediately.  The suggestion by the NAPA guy may help my shifting problem, but what is happening with the clutch?  HELP!!!!

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A couple of points. If you didn't pre soak your clutch plate (assuming you installed a new cork clutch plate) part of your problem is that the corks have swollen. Your clutch needs to be readjusted.
    You also, from what the NAPA guy said, need to make sure you have no wear in the linkages, it doesn't take much slop there to cause shifting problems.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    A wild guess, but could the clutch fluid have leaked out?  You might drain it, just to see how much is left.  May be there was a leak in the gasket.

Of course, if the clutch was a new one, the corks may have been so dry that they absorbed your initial fill of fluid.  In which case you would have to add more fluid.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2017
    Bob wins!  Even used clutches need to be soaked if they have been out a while!  Your clutch just swelled as it heated...the cooling and working is the tip off!  Replace the rubber grommets in the end of the shift rods to get tight shift action and proper location of the cabin shifter arm.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks guys.  I didn't pre-soak the clutch plate before I put it back in.  I put a new clutch gasket on the flywheel while I had the pressure plate off.  It didn't appear to be leaking when I checked it before I began my trip.  I'll check it again when I get over being mad. Where can I get the rubber grommets for the shift rods?  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm not a StepDown guy, but if these are what you're looking for

Doug Wildrick sells 'em.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Another question, what was the thickness of the gasket you used, if it was one from Doug,you should be ok. The proper thickness is critical.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I got my clutch gasket from Dale Cooper.  Jon those bushings will fit from 34 to 52,.  In light of the cost plus shipping, I'm going to try some other sources first.  
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Try restorationspecialties in Wimber, PA
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
     I live less than 20 minutes away from Steele Rubber Co.  They have a grommet that looks a lot like what I need for 1/5 the Wildrick price. I'm going to take my old one down there and see if it is compatible to what they have to sell.  If that fails, I will contact these other vendors.  
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    You have been given some good advice, I have experienced the same thing on several stepdowns over the years. Mostly in parades! I found that if I shut the engine off, place it in 1st gear , then restart the engine. That worked for me..In extreme cases I would have to use the brake to keep the car from creeping. Definitely need to adjust the clutch and maybe change the Hudsonite again.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The grommet that Steele Rubber had on their website was way too small.  I went with Dr. Doug and the bushing WRP sent was perfect.  Lesson learned....