Gearshift position

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
After switching from an overdrive to a manual transmission, I was surprised that the gearshift positions were altered.  Now first and third are no longer at 4:00 o'clock but are just below where neutral used to be.  2nd and reverse are at 1:00 o'clock instead of two o'clock and neutral is more like 2:15 instead of 3:00 oClock..  I see where I need to adjust the gearshift rod, I just didn't think that there would be such a large variation in shift pattern between the two transmissions.  

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You might want to mention the year, since Hudson had two after the War (their own, then Borg-Warner. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The manual transmission came out of a 48 Commodore Six sedan.  I'm putting it in a 49 Super Six coupe,  I strongly suspect that the engine and overdrive that is in the 49 came from a newer model since it' has a Twin-H setup, the manifold is from a Hash model, and the overdrive solenoid came from a 50 or later model.  When I put the overdrive from a 48 Super Eight in the 48 Commodore, the shift pattern remained the same.  Regardless of whether the overdrive transmissions are Hudson-built or Borg Warner, shouldn't I be able to adjust the rod that connects the shifter to the gear stick to get the desired result? 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Forget my mention of the Borg-Warner, you have the pre-1952 cable type, Hudson-built transmissions.  I would guess you can adjust the linkage.  Maybe some component was reversed or installed upside down or something.  Are you consulting the shop manual?  (A Step-Down authority should step in here!)