Transmission mount doesn't line up

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I'm trying to mount a standard manual transmission that came out of a 48 Commodore Six Sedan into a 49 Super Six coupe that has an overdrive transmission that I"m not sure works correctly.  I didn't have a problem putting an overdrive transmission that came out of a 48 Super Eight sedan in the 48 Commodore.  After I got the manual transmission mounted to the engine in the 49, the transmission mount doesn't line up the holes on the crossmember.  At first I thought I had put the new mount on backwards, but when turned it around, same result.  Is the wheel base on a coupe that much different or did the engine shift while I had it jacked up?  

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Are the mounts measured the same distance on both trans ? Just a thought
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I'll find out tomorrow.  That thing has beat my tail enough for one day....
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    How far off are you?  If your front engine mounts are old and soft the engine can easily move back an inch or so.

John
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The motor mounts are new.  When removing the transmission, I jacked the engine up with a bottle jack that developed a leak.  When I went back the following day, it had fallen over and the engine had dropped considerably.  It looks to be about an inch off.  The game plan is to loosen the motor mounts and try to shift the transmission into place. Wish me luck.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are on the right track, loosen everything off, lever in to position, insert bolts, and tighten.   
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Got it.  It helps to tighten the bell housing to the engine completely before seeking help on this forum. Once I did that, it was still tough but I didn't have to loosen the front engine mounts.  Thanks for the help anyway. 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Funny. I think we have all been there before.