How do you R&R a '41-7 door- lower hinge

boothguy
boothguy Senior Contributor
The lower hinge is riveted both to the door and the post and I don't see anyway to get the pin out of the hinge. Are you supposed to drill the rivets? Is that what the factory intended?

Comments

• barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    There are tools I believe to remove the pin. I have used heat and also just a hammer and a punch. Sometimes you will find a small lubricating hole on the hinge. The pin is a tight fit in the top of the hinge to keep it there. You will have to remove the upholstery to remove another pin on the door check strap - luckily this is an easier pin to remove. Barry
  • boothguy
    Does any body have a picture of such a tool, theres not much vertical clearance under the hinge. I was thinking of grinding the head off the pin, driving it down and cutting pieces off until its all out. The problem then would be fabricating a new pin which might not be a big deal if its a standard diameter
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    If you search Ebay for "door pin remover" you will find a few like this one. 332306843292. Not sure if this one is the right one for you but it gives you the idea. Im sure plenty of HET members have a few original spare pins. Barry 
  • boothguy
    Thanks Barry, I couldn't find any throat dimensions on the Bob Drake tool to know if it would work on the Hudson but now that I have seen it, (I was locked into hammer and  punch thinking) I'll try to make something with a C-clamp that might work. Does anybody know if there is a commonly available pin that would work- Drake sells a 1/4" oversize repair pin and the originals were apparently 15/64" diameter but I don't know the length. Maybe I'll get lucky and and the pins will come out intact.
  • bellbigdawg
    bellbigdawg Expert Adviser
    ebay stainless steel ford door pins. think 40 ford same. fit my 41 nice and won't rust