For 1923 4cyl. Essex Floating coupling (Oldham Coupling)

I believe this coupling was used on all Hudson/Essex 1923-1932 ? I need one, or better still a complete assembly. Any help welcomeimageimageimage

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome to the Forum, Geno.  Is this some sort of universal joint?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

My understanding is not all Essex had this.  As I understand it there are two types of drives one a gear and one a chain.  This is for the chain so any slack can be taken out.  My 1922 and the dead 1923 engine I have are both gear drive.....sorry.  Someone with more experience with this will chime in shortly I am sure. 

Jay

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Yes I have spare. Has your's broken? What other parts may you need. Shipping from NZ is costly but the parts are small. Email me at HETtriangle@het.org.nz (drop the first HET)
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    This system was used on all Essex 6's through to 29 at least. Not sure on 30's and up though. 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Hudsons used a similar coupling. Not sure if its the same. Would like to know. If its the same then it would be very easy to find. Barry
  • Gemo
    Gemo Member
    Hudsons used a similar coupling. Not sure if its the same. Would like to know. If its the same then it would be very easy to find. Barry

Jon B said:
    Welcome to the Forum, Geno.  Is this some sort of universal joint?

• Gemo
    Gemo Member
    The coupling was invented by a man called Oldham in about 1850. He used it to drive the paddles of a steamship. Hudson used it to keep the timing chain tension correct without disturbing the oil pump/distributor drive.
         It allows a shaft to drive another shaft which is offset to it.
         Thought you'd like to know this!
                                                             Gemo