Exhaust Manifold

Today's revelation is that I need an exhaust manifold & packing nut for my 27 Essex.

I also still need one 27 Hudson style cowl light,  body side door hinges & a king pin set.

I should explain that I bought this Speedabout 19 years ago & after getting it running I sealed it in a container for those 19 years.  I just removed it from storage & am starting work on it.  To date I have restored the dash panel, made new top irons & a windshield assembly.   I am sure the list of needs will grow in the near future.

Thank you for any leads,

Jack

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Try Al Saffrahn
    al_saffrahn@q.com he helped me out when I needed a exhaust manifiold for my 39
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Contact me if you are stuck.  I have one here, but it will cost a bit to post from N.Z.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    I also have a few spare manifolds but you would prodably pay to put a flange on as the packing nuts are often seized. As Geoff says, the postage will be a bit if you can't get one closer.
  • ernie28 said:
    I also have a few spare manifolds but you would prodably pay to put a flange on as the packing nuts are often seized. As Geoff says, the postage will be a bit if you can't get one closer.

Thank you all for the input.    I have 2 broken manifolds & it looks like the nut has swelled with rust & pushed the side out of the manifold.   How would you put a flange on?   I would go that route since it would solve the problem .

Jack

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I can put a flange  on for you.   I am covering how to do this in the W.T.N. shortly.
    Geoff 

• If you can get the nut out with out damage to manifold contact Gary Lynch .... he remakes the nut....he advertises it in the WTN
  • JackInnes
    JackInnes Member
    edited July 2017

I have now contacted Gary Lynch but he does not make the 27 nut.

How is the flange fastened to the cast iron manifold?  Thank you for the offer Geoff but shipping the manifold from Canada to & from N.Z. would be very costly.

Thank you,

Jack 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The flange nuts were all the same from '24 thru '29, so Gary's flange will fit your car.  You arc-weld a flange on if you are going  this way, using  a nickel-iron electrode. 
  • JackInnes
    JackInnes Member
    edited July 2017

Thank you Geoff,  I did some experimenting today with the loose broken manifold I have.  I cleaned up the broken end & opened up the remains of threads to 2" ID.  The steel flange is now 2" ID as well.     The mating flange can have the exhaust pipe protruding about 3/4" so it will enter the manifold & reduce pressure on the gasket.  If you agree that this will work I will have it welded by a professional welder. ( I am forbidden by my cardiologist to weld due to an ICD that might go off due to the field from the welder.) 

Thank you,

Jack 

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    That will work fine.   It's easier if you position the bolts at 2 and 8 o'clock, to give easier access to the nuts.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Geoff- great read in WTN!
  • I have good news -   I found a manifold locally & just removed the nut without breaking the manifold!   I will try Gary again on the nut.  I can make one if necessary.  I guess it should be cast iron to work properly??

Jack

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There you go!   I have never seen one of these just unscrew, and if they do the thread are usually toast, so you are a fortunate fellow. Must  be a very low mileage car it came off.  What's wrong with the flange nut you unscrewed. that you cannot re-use it.  Gary's replacement nut should work fine.    
  • Geoff,    

The nut was partially broken away at the notched end - about 25%.  It took several heating & cooling cycles & careful removal of a section of nut thread to get it out.   The nut was beyond repair.   It also seems that there was an excessive amount of packing so only about 1/2" of the nut was threaded in the manifold.    It will take some careful cleaning to clear the threads beyond that depth.  I will contact Gary again.

Thank you,

Jack

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Ah, so it didn't just unscrew!  I thought it when you said you "just" removed the nut that it came out easy, but I deduce you mean "just" in the sense "recently completed".  You may be able to get a suitable packing ring made of modern material, as asbestos string is no longer available as far as I can find out.  That's why I go for the  welded-on flange. 
    Geoff 

• I went forward & cleaned the threads & packing area then made a new cast iron nut to suit the threads as they are now.  Fortunately I have been picking up the evil asbestos packing any time I ran onto it for years & have a roll of asbestos string that should do  the job.

Jack

• Hi all, I've got a 1926 Essex tourer in many pieces which needs a packing nut as well. If I can't get one (anyone knows where I can I get one?) I'll try and make one. Would brass be better than steel?

Danny

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Gary Lynch sells these. Definitely do not go brass.