hydra matic shifts

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
I am trying to get our 54 hornet 308 hydra matic tranny to shift up right. It shifts from 1 st to 2 nd nice but from 2 nd to 3rd
the engine revs up a little then shifts into 3rd. It does the same shifting in to 4th. But coming to a corner I can not feel any down shifts . No engine labouring when down shifting. Tranny goes into low but shakes a little I guess from starting in 2nd.
I have been shortening the tv rod from bell crank to trans. I am worried that the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are being damaged when I drive the car.Any help would be awesome.

Comments

• Did you rebuild this transmission when you restored your car?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    No I did not just replaced front seal Oil looked real nice and clean.  Ray
  • I don't know much about these transmissions, but I do know that they are ridiculously complex - like a Rube Goldberg machine.  Everything has to be just right for them to perform right.  Funny, engines used to be simple, and now have become more complex.  Transmissions, on the other hand, have become more simplified over time.  

My hydramatic used to slip all the time.  I don't think it was ever rebuilt, either.  However, it is working flawlessly since I installed the Twin H setup.  The transmission seems to love the new bellcrank geometry or something... very strange...
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Duncan  -  I think you are going the wrong way on your tv rod.  I had the same problem with my '54 but found that by lengthening the rod the shifts smoothed out and the harshness of the shifts were reduced considerably.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the kind words. But I need to adjust the tranny shifts without the engine revving up. And I don't know when it is right.  Ray