Suggestions wanted for repowering my 41 swb coupe

boothguy
boothguy Senior Contributor
I have this coupe that sat in a garage for 50 or so years until the building collapsed. Most people wouldn't consider it more than parts but I'm determined to put it back on the road in some fashion. I've been unsquashing it part time for a year and a half and I'm about ready to install the donor roof (thanks Lance). So I'm starting to think about what to replace the 175 splasher with, I know stepdown engines will go in the longer wheelbase cars but I assume you would have to cut out the firewall and heavily modify the Xframe to put a 308 in this car and that would lead to a whole lot of complications. I'm thinking maybe a 202 Jet w/od might make for an easy swap that would be highway driveable and retain some of the original character. Has anyone seen this done? Have pictures? A drivetrain for sale? I'm open to non Hudson swaps if you know of a particularly successful recipe. Looking forward to any/all suggestions, Thanks

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I've got an extra 212 splasher
  • Dave Lannan in FL put a 308 into a short wheelbase coupe without cutting the firewall. He pounded it back with an air hammer. He also has A/C, and P/S on it with twin-H. Hemmings did a write up about his cars within the last year or so.
  • Val
    Val Member
    I am happy with the 212 in my 39. Will fit in your 41 nicely. I would get back with Uncle Josh about his spare 212. Its a good engine for cruising.  
  • boothguy
    A 212 w/od would do the job and be pretty close to a bolt-in but I'm a little splasher averse because of the cost involved in rebuilding one, just an assumption on my part, I have no actual experience with one, maybe I need to be educated.

In the roster I see a Dave Lanning in Englewood Fl with a 37 Terraplane pickup among others, I'll see if Hemmings is available online
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    In at least a dozen splashers I've re-built, I've not had a rod bearing out of spec.  Once in a while a main gets trashed but most have good babbitt and can be shimmed to spec.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Val
    Val Member
    My 212 has an O/D and while I may not cruise it at 75, 60 65 should be no issue. Splashier motors are fine like said by skddthekidd just treat them like they its still 1940
  • boothguy
    Had a great conversation yesterday with Dave Lanning about his 41 Traveler. Sounds like the 308 went in pretty easily, kept original trans, clutch linkage, steering and suspension- had to massage the firewall and relocate the radiator which meant a custom  unit so the hood would close. I was concerned the result would be nose heavy but he said it rides and handles fine with a stepdown swaybar and cruises easily on the interstate- he replaced the 4.11 rear with a 3.08- I'm thinking about keeping the 4.11 and adding OD. I assume all 41 up single lever transmissions will interchange, correct? I'm sure there are a lot of details to be worked through but it seems like a pretty doable swap. To read about Dave's car use the address on the bottom of the page.

I'm not anti-splasher but I am on a budget and I have a running 49 parts car with OD which should provide the big pieces. BTW I've been to New Zealand twice and absolutely love everything about it, but they don't have the traffic conditions we have to contend with- I think there are less than 200 miles of freeway in the whole country. If you haven't been there I can't recommend a visit highly enough.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2016/12/Stepped-Up-Performance---1941-Hudson-Traveler-Coupe/3750302.html#PhotoSwipe1499564099429

• Per
    Per Member
    Booth guy,

If you really want to cruise at 70 mph all day, put a 232 engine in your car.  its short stroke, together with 4.11 axle and overdrive gives a very nice ratio for highway driving. My engine and transmission have been across the United States four times, and the engine still has good compression, oil pressure, and oil mileage.  With the short wheelbase car, you'll have all the power you really need.

.                               Per                     
  • boothguy
    I agree a 232 would be a good choice, but I don't have one. I'll probably go with the 262 unless I come across something better. I'm going to need a rear glass- does any one know if a coupe has the same glass as the sedans?
  • A 262 would be the same size as a 308, so you'd encounter all the nuisances of trying to install a 308, without the benefit of the extra power a 308 would have.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There was a 202 w/ twin H floating around here some months ago.  Not sure who had it but that would be an easy drop in as opposed to the 308/262/232.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This 202 has been on eBay for quite some time.  Seems pricey, but it is a Twin-H.  Maybe you could negotiate a better price.  That would be a sweet little engine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Hudson-Jet-Twin-H-202-Complete-Engine/111838982555?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=45041&meid=3ad7472d1dee451fa7c60c5f91d945eb&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=201782207212

• boothguy
    The ebay 202 has been on my watchlist for a long time, I agree it seems a little pricey for an unknown engine especially when you add shipping from Texas to VA and then you still need to find all the clutch/tranny pieces. Are hydro and stick cranks the same?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Looks like he is open to offers, so don't let the asking price deter you!
  • boothguy
    An update and a few questions. The roof is on and welded up so it looks like a car again. Trying to decide whether to use lead or bondo to finish the seams. Can't seem to find my leading stuff that I haven't used for 30 years and too cheap to buy a new kit from Eastwood. Anybody know a thriftier alternative to Eastwood or better yet have some vintage paddles and solder they want to get rid of?

I ended up with a low mileage 232 from a 50 Pacemaker that was being rodded and its in place. Used an impact hammer to massage the firewall cavity back a couple inches and had to modify the crossmember to drop the engine down to get the oil pan rib under the steering shaft. I'll never understand why Hudson had to have such a long horizontal shaft and then have the pitman arm bend back under the gear. I guess they didn't anticipate that I would want to "modernize" the drivetrain 77 years later. Everything is real tight but it works.

I'm trying to figure out the radiator, thinking about a universal 20"w x 26"h aluminum from Speedway for $249 which should be narrow enough to clear the prow of the hood but would mean ditching the Equi-poise setup that sits across the top of the frame rails- planning to adapt a Hornet sway bar attached to the bottom of the rails. Anyone have opinions on this? I don't really understand why the Equi-poise bar is attached to the steering knuckles instead of the control arms. I also plan to use the front brakes off the Hornet parts car- I know this is a popular swap but do you use the original '41 master cylinder?

I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures, in the meantime I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks
  • Per
    Per Member
    Its great that you found a 232!

Per
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

Sounds like a good Motor choice. You can use the stock Master Cyl with no problem.  Replacing that stock Sway Sway Bar is a good idea but go with the larger radiator first then figure a sway bar. Suggest walk a Salvage Yard for a sway bar to adapt maybe from a small truck.

Attach pictures by clicking the small dark sq Icon on the top header above your message (Nineth from the left) then Browse to your saved pictures and click on picture.

• boothguy

I don't think this is is working

\
  • boothguy
    Well maybe it is
  • boothguy
    41 As found
  • boothguy
    From the rear
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Looks like you got the hang on Posting Pics now and Nice Project….