Battery jump starters

Val
Val Member
Does anyone know if there is a 6 volt portable jump starter available?

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Val, If you need a jump start you can use a 12 volt system. Run your starter ONLY.That said BE SURE to turn off any 6 volt anything no using the horn, cigarette lighter, lights, radio etc.   It will jump your car but as soon as it does remove the 12 volt jumper cables quickly. as far as portable 6 volt battery pack jump starters go., don't hold your breath.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I carry a AGM/Optima 6 volt battery in the trunk with cables when ever I take the my 6 volt Hudsons out. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks guys for the response. Lance when you say turn the starter only I can guess you mean to only use 12V to crank the car. Nothing else to be powered up. Oldfarmer the  optima battery is a viable option. I did find a portable jump starter. Schumacher XC85-CA says it is a 6v/12V and it is $90.00 at my local auto parts store. I do have 12V jump starter. So with the info given I'm not sure which path I shall take. I just wanted something to give me a boost when I'm out with the car and the battery gets low.   
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    The Optima would be my choice, it's a dry cell battery, no worry about battery acid in the trunk.  Another option would be to make sure that your charging system is operating correctly so that your battery doesn't get low.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    I agree and one of the better ways to make sure you have a battery thats dependable is to rewire your car. A lot of guys get a higher voltage battery to overcome slow starting. What they don't realize is that the corroded steel stranded wire has so much corrosion that the electrical resistance is causing the starting problem not the battery. Do yourself a favor and do a rewire .
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I recently had a slow starter problem on my 49 8. After re-doing everything including two red top Optimas in parallel.. Found the battery disconnect switch that was on the car when I bought it...was resistive. Removed the switch... No more slow cranks even when hot.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Onerare39: Optima is probably my best bet. What part number are you using? Lance: the car has a brand new wire harness installed by Dr Doug and the gang. I kept the generator and 6 V system. I just want something in case of emergency. But again I am nit sure what battery is best or what optima I should get
  • Val
    Val Member
    SuperDave: Red Top Optima, is that the best one over the yellow?
  • SuperDave
    Heck I dont know!  I have a Hudson buddy show me what he did,so i copied it. Probably could have just used one!  Got mine off Amazon.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave said:
    Heck I dont know!  I have a Hudson buddy show me what he did,so i copied it. Probably could have just used one!  Got mine off Amazon.

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    I believe the 6 volt is only made in the red top .
    I also did what Super Dave did to my 36T.
    Got 2 red top Optima's in parallel, made sure everything was shiny bright and tight (connections), and used 1 gauge cable for all connections, including the ground (pos) from bat to starter bolt. Then braided straps to frame etc.
    Starts great even when hot!
    J
  •  Schumacher XC85-CA is not portable. 
    it needs to be plugged in. 
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I have a single Optima Red Top in my '54 Hornet - we made a new hold-down bracket & it sets there pretty proud looking.  Get a lot of questions about it at cruise-ins.  Plenty of battery for the job.  Have had it now about four years and seems to be doing well.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks to all who have given their input. I greatly appreciate it. I did find out that the XC85=CA is NOT a portable as the kid at the auto parts store said. So I will most like go with the optima battery even if the guy at the parts store is against them 
  • I got a product similar to this for Christmas.  It is small, lightweight, has a built in flashlight, and can also charge up phones, tablets, etc.  It's also handy if you need to help out a damsel/dude in distress.  It's 12V, but it'll work on your 6V, as others have mentioned - just make sure your bulbs are off!  Seems way more useful (and cheaper) than carrying a heavy/bulky Optima in your trunk! 

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-White-16000mAh-Portable-Starter/dp/B01C5KN3O2/ref=sr_1_23?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499346302&sr=1-23&keywords=portable+jump+starter

• Well, assume that you don't use a battery minder, and on a trip your generator/alternator stops working, and you carry a battery pack in the trunk; you might also carry a correctly-polarized cigarette lighter plug with long wires so that the car would continue running. These battery packs are difficult to connect up continuously in engine compartment.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Iceblade10: I do have a 12V jump starter. Maybe that would be a better option.  
  • SuperDave
    I have a 1930 Model A Ford in my shop for repairs that has a yellow top Optima 6 Volt battery with a sell date of 2/14. Although a search of Google doesn't show a yellow top 6 volt version. I guess optima discontinued it. I can't seem to find any specs on it to compare with the red top. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    SuperDave, what's the part number on the battery?
  • SuperDave
    I will see what I can find tomorrow,  I will be preparing to remove the engine.
  • Val
    Val Member
    Ok thank you
  • SuperDave
    The only thing i found was a label on the top of the battery that had the battery that said "Econo Power by Optima"."made in Mexico"     No part or model number. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks SuperDave I appreciate you checking for me