Trunk question: 46 super six with Ruskin Body from Australia

Hi,
I met a guy at a local show (here in the UK) with a RHD, Australian Ruskin bodied 1946 Super Six. He has a problem with the trunk. There is a vertical trunk support bar which only allows the trunk to open a small distance which does not seem correct. Does anyone know whether there should be some sort of spring arrangement attached to the trunk hinges to support the trunk when open ?
I will pass any information on as he is not on the internet. Thank you.

Comments

• Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    edited July 2017
    No, that is as far as it goes up, the stay has a notch in it,so does not go any further.Just  be careful you don't y hit your noggin., Been there done that many times.
  • Hi Huddy42, thanks for your response. The owner (and me) were just really surprised at how difficult the arrangement made it to load any luggage ! We assumed that there must be something wrong with the way the trunk hinges and trunk stay had been set up. 
  • Huddy42
    Made for little people.

• It's an Australian car designed by a smart bloke who didn't want to make it easy for the opposite sex to plan "trips away" - i.e. "Sorry love, no room for luggage - we'll just visit your mother and come straight back home OK?"
  • allan
    allan Member

The redesigned exterior trunk hinges on the 41 model and subsequent carry over to 46 and 47 models made the high opening trunk lid possible.  Since this car has a 1940 rear end, the redesign has not been incorporated into the design.  Our American 1940 model cars have this issue as well.

It's really interesting to see multiple year cars incorporated into one car though.  Also kind of weird.  Ruskin must have used whatever left over parts were available to build with.

Allan

• Huddy42
    Our 1942 has the later high lift boot,unlike the Aussie '46/7 cars.Even with the high lift,you still have to be careful not to take some bark off your head.