1954 Twin H filter Pictures Parts

Does anyone have pictures of correct air filter assembly for 1954 Hornet convertible? I need at least one cover and possible two deflectors.

Comments

• The type with the "square" end would be correct for the models up to 1954.  For 55-56, they went to the curved back.  They also have an oil bath type with the square back that would be correct, but do you really want to mess around with that?  

Image result for hudson hornet twin h power
  • Oil bath type:
    Image result for hudson hornet twin h power

• Here's the set I just unapologetically installed on my 1954 coupe.  They are the round type for 1955-56.  They came with the box of Twin H parts I bought, so I threw them on rather than pay $500 for the "correct" type.  My car was one of the last 54s off the line in late 1954, so I figure it's conceivable that the new owner could have theoretically taken delivery of it in early 1955, then had the dealer install a Twin H kit, thus making this style of filter "correct" for my car.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
    Displaying IMG_20170623_182758504jpg

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Really great photos.  I like the oil bath, but have had both at one time or another.  By the way, should not your engine be red for 54?
  • Brownie, the first 2 photos where just ones I pulled from Google to illustrate the filters.  The last photo, with the red engine, is MY car.
  • When did they make the change from oil bath to the filter style?
    Are the paint colors different between the 2 styles, like in the pictures?
  • Barry, the paper filter was the "standard" filter.  The oil bath filters were an option at additional cost.  In the 50s, there were still many unpaved roads, and they performed better in the dust.

As for the color, I could never find a definitive answer.  Most original ones I see seem to be more purple-red, like the top picture.  Many people seem to repaint them with a more fire-engine red when they redo them.  I painted mine to match the engine color, although they were originally more of a purple red.  I do not think the purple red color would look good with a red '54 engine, but looks good w/ the gold engines of 51-53.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    darker color in first picture I was told  paint by Rustolium  name Colonial red in spray can.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Here is one of mine off the 54 before I repainted them.  I believe this to be original paint and stencil.

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    one rare 39 that's just what I am looking for.S0 the color of the air cleaners are the same color as the engine or can I paint them them the same color as the first picture. colonial red.Could you draw me a stencil on paper so I can get some made. We have a sing painter in town so he might be able to help.  Hudsonly  Ray
  • Ray, if your 54 has a red engine, as it should, the colonial red will clash, no?  
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Ray,  It's up to you what color you paint them, in my opinion they should match the engine, if the engine is red.  Sorry, I'm not enough of an artist to make a stencil for you.  I would by the sticker and trim off the oval.  Remember one important part about the Hudson Club... we don't judge cars.  Did you renew your membership yet?

John Forkner
  • Thanks Iceblade, I have a set of each that I'm restoring. The set with the elements have some of the original paint on them and I noticed that the paint under the decal is brighter. It looks like they turned more purple with age. The oil bath set I have had the outside paint stripped already, but the overspray on the inside looks very close to the color under the decals on the other set. The original color I believe falls between the two examples above.
  • Here's the original air filter color compared to my freshly painted intake, which matches the red 54 engine.  There was considerable difference.  Could it be from fading?  Who knows, but I opted to strip and repaint the filters to match.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Excellent picture- shows the original Fram color vis a vis the red color preference of Hudson engine painters.  The Fram filter color was used from beginning to end on the Twin H filters with the exception of the Jet top set filter and ver few early black oil baths I have seen. 
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Another item to consider, fuel fumes tend to discolor painted surfaces - therefore that could be part of the reason for the darker color.  I've been around Hudsons most of my life - in fact, helped to install many "Twin H Power" kits on customer cars back in the day.  My memory of the twin air cleaners with the screen element (can be converted easily to the paper element) was of a brighter red, much like the color of the '54 engine.