Steering wheel removal

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I was reading the 48/49 repair manual on how to remove a steering wheel from this particular Stepdown and those instructions refer to an adapter to be used with Hudson removal tool J-739-10.  I'm sure those items aren't available at my local parts stores.  Can any of you guys tell me how to remove and replace my Ivory steering wheel using a modern puller?
I want to switch out the steering wheel on the 48 to the 49 without screwing either steering wheel up.  

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Jason, You need a wheel puller with a collar attached to a pressure screw.   Come on down to my place and we can take it off with mine.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

These special tools are often available on eBay as I was able to purchase a vintage universal wheel puller kit (for early 50's cars and older) off of the auction website some years ago for around $40.00.  Used it to replace the original cracked steering wheel on my '50 Pacemaker. 

Dan

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Lance, I assume you are going to be nice enough to show me how to work your tool and borrow it long enough to get the two steering wheels exchanged.  Otherwise, if I drive one of the cars down there to take it off, how am I going to get back home? LOL.  
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Easy. Buy one from me!  No really I can lend you one :)
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I didn't realize you had them for sale.  I'm going to take the transmission out hopefully this week and then I'll know what I may need in terms of what is needed for the drive train. I've actually driven the coupe a few times and it has the potential for being a very fast car.  It just engages rough and it's hard to tell how much of it is due to throw out bearing, clutch plate, etc.  I'll call to see if you are available before I come.