Front suspension upper/lower arm - special tool for aligning pivot and bushings ?

DoctorvauxDoctorvaux Member
edited June 6 in HUDSON Posts: 24
Hello,
there is excessive wear in the upper arm pivot/bushings on my 1948 super six, and I need to replace them. According to the Hudson manual, I should use tool 1860, which apparently spreads the arm by 1/16 inch to get the alignment correct.  As I am never going to find the correct tool (!!) has anyone improvised a way to get the alignjment correct ?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• bob wardbob ward Senior Contributor
    A turnbuckle can be made into a quick and dirty spreader. Cut off the hooks or eyes that a turnbuckle typically comes with and weld on something that will engage with the arms.
    Lockyer Valley, Queensland
  • KdancyKdancy Senior Contributor
    Where are you located?
    53 Super Super Wasp Coupe
    53 Studebaker Coupe Custom
    64 Champ pickup
    53 Hornet Coupe od no drivetrain,  haven't decided what to do with this 
    Wellborn, Fl
  • DoctorvauxDoctorvaux Member
    Thanks Bob.
    Does anyone know where to measure for the 1/16 inch stretch, is it at the point where the bushings go into the arm ?

I am in the United Kingdom, hence chances of finding any original tools is zero so I have to improvise !!

I have now discovered the lower arm bushes and pivots are also worn. The Hudson manual staes thet need to use tool 1052 to maintain certain distances.  Does anyone have a picture of what the tools look like, I am hoping I can make a tool up. 
    Thank you.

• Oldfarmer1947gmailcomOldfarmer1947gmailcom Expert Adviser

Doc  the following pictures are from the 1954 Kent-Moore Hudson Special tools catalogue.   I have also included a picture  of the J1052 tool that I recently purchased from a eBay vendor.

1954 Kent-Moore Hudson Special Tools.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    upper control arm speader J3957 Hudson Stepdown.jpg
    2971 x 1297 - 550K
    J1052 Lower Control Arm Spreader Hudson all models.jpg
    2823 x 455 - 203K
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    1600 x 1066 - 232K
    Thank you Oldfarmer, that is really helpful.
  • Geoff C., N.Z.Geoff C., N.Z. Senior Contributor
    I just ground a length of square steel tube to the correct dimension and hammered it into position before  installing the bushings. 
    If you're stuck in a hole, stop digging.
    Thanks Geoff.