Front suspension upper/lower arm - special tool for aligning pivot and bushings ?

DoctorvauxDoctorvaux Member
edited June 6 in HUDSON Posts: 24
Hello,
there is excessive wear in the upper arm pivot/bushings on my 1948 super six, and I need to replace them. According to the Hudson manual, I should use tool 1860, which apparently spreads the arm by 1/16 inch to get the alignment correct.  As I am never going to find the correct tool (!!) has anyone improvised a way to get the alignjment correct ?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• bob wardbob ward Senior Contributor
    A turnbuckle can be made into a quick and dirty spreader. Cut off the hooks or eyes that a turnbuckle typically comes with and weld on something that will engage with the arms.
    Lockyer Valley, Queensland
  • KdancyKdancy Senior Contributor
    Where are you located?
    53 Super Wasp Coupe ready for restoration
    53 Studebaker Coupe Custom
    64 Champ pickup
    Wellborn, Fl
  • DoctorvauxDoctorvaux Member
    Thanks Bob.
    Does anyone know where to measure for the 1/16 inch stretch, is it at the point where the bushings go into the arm ?

I am in the United Kingdom, hence chances of finding any original tools is zero so I have to improvise !!

I have now discovered the lower arm bushes and pivots are also worn. The Hudson manual staes thet need to use tool 1052 to maintain certain distances.  Does anyone have a picture of what the tools look like, I am hoping I can make a tool up. 
    Thank you.

• Oldfarmer1947gmailcomOldfarmer1947gmailcom Expert Adviser

Doc  the following pictures are from the 1954 Kent-Moore Hudson Special tools catalogue.   I have also included a picture  of the J1052 tool that I recently purchased from a eBay vendor.

1954 Kent-Moore Hudson Special Tools.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    upper control arm speader J3957 Hudson Stepdown.jpg
    2971 x 1297 - 550K
    J1052 Lower Control Arm Spreader Hudson all models.jpg
    2823 x 455 - 203K
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    1600 x 1066 - 232K
    Thank you Oldfarmer, that is really helpful.
  • Geoff C., N.Z.Geoff C., N.Z. Senior Contributor
    I just ground a length of square steel tube to the correct dimension and hammered it into position before  installing the bushings. 
    If you're stuck in a hole, stop digging.
    Thanks Geoff.