1940 series 40p deluxe parts wanted 23x201/4x7 fuel tank

Jennrich827
Jennrich827 Member
edited June 2017 in Parts & Pieces
I have a 1940 Hudson deluxe 6 cylinder I'm looking for parts for. I really need a fuel tank but also a gas cap as well as 1 hub cap. Also various chrome pieces, wheel bolts and a few miscellaneous parts.   

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Hi, Jennrich827 and welcome to the Forum.

You may have some problem in finding a decent fuel tank.  If you can't find one, and yours is merely rusted out here and there, you may want to consider a company like Gas Tank Renu (with branches all across the country), which will renew your old tank, patching rust and lining the inside and outside with an impervious coating.  Most people who have used the service are pleased, though it will cost you between $300-400.  Although some companies do make reproduction car fuel tanks these tend to be for popular makes like Ford and Chevy.  I have never heard of one being made for any Hudson, let alone a pre-war one.

Gas caps, on the other hand, should be very easy to find, brand new.  I'd try Ebay.  There are a lot of interchanges between Hudsons and more popular brands.  Hubcaps, too, turn up on Ebay.

I don't know if you're in the H-E-T Club http://www.hetclub.org/ but if not, you might consider joining.  It's a great way to find parts and technical info on Hudsons, and the Club and its 40 chapters host a number of activities across the U.S.  (There are also independent Hudson clubs in several other countries including Sweden, New Zealand and Australia).  The Club magazine, The WTN,  is a great source of parts, and you can also contact the vendors with your 'wish list' of Hudson parts.  And there are many people who specialized in reproduction parts for Hudsons, who advertise in the Club magazine.
  • yes I joined the club but haven't made any wish lists yet.

• hello there,
    bite the bullet ... have a new steel tank built to your specs ... should cost about$400 and give you peice of mind ... i had a stainless steel unit made for my 40 hudson coupe and the final cost was under $500 with sending unit, fuel fittings and cap (i have friends in the steel fab company) ... definately worth it !
    mark
  • I have only found  1 place that makes them and it was 1000 before shipping. Where did you have yours made?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Jennrich, just for fun: where are you located?  There are Hudson folks all over the place, and about 40 chapters of the Hudson club spread out throughout the U.S.  One of them may be near you.  If you could make contact locally, with a Hudson owner or two who might be willing to at least offer you advice and encouragement in your restoration, that could be a big help.  Many of the items you seek are available, and not expensive, if you just know where to look.  I have bought parts for my '37 at the local auto parts store because they also fit Chevy's and Fords.  

This forum is a wonderful way to "network" with people across the world, but what you really need is real, live Hudson enthusiasts nearby.  Ones who would take an interest in seeing your car back on the road.
  • I live just outside of Oklahoma City.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Jennrich, I have sent you a P.M.