carburetor for a 1936 terraplane

I'm looking for a Hudson terraplane carburetor for my 36 . the car runs but it does'nt idle smooth also the choke wont connect. the carb that's on is a GM rochester

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm pretty sure that isn't the correct one.  It would have been a Carter. For the Terraplane model 61, the carb would have been a 331S.  For model 62, a 329S.  You could possibly find a used one on Ebay and rebuild it (there are several carb. parts places that sell kits).  Or, try some of the Hudson vendors who regularly advertise in the WTN -- they may have an old one kicking around, or possibly even a rebuilt one.
  • ken1962
    ken1962 Member
    The 36 carb was quite bad in design so many were replaced with a better model - my 36 Terraplane has a universal stromberg - has the added benifit of an adjustable fuel needle etc - probably why yours was scrapped - try to find what modern one fits before installing a 1936 - carbs were quite poor in design till the late 1950's and the technology sort of stopped advancing once fuel injection took over 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    A Hudson Jet carb works much better on the 212 motor.  Carter WA1.   There are adjustable jet, universal  WA1 models available.   I agree with Ken, the original W1 was not much good.  The Rochester should work reasonably well, being reasonably simple.   I had one of these on a '34 H8 motor and it worked fine.  Was off a '47 chev I think.
  • REV
    REV Member
    Thanks for the info it's been helpful