Fitting a big port H8 into a 34/5 H8

bob ward
bob ward Senior Contributor
I've just bought a 37 H8 engine with the idea that it will be a spare for my 35 H8 roadster should it ever be required. The exhaust flange on the 37 engine extends 2 1/2" further forward than it does on the 35 and the manifolds (big port vs small port) can't be readily changed over. 

Someone on here must have tried this at some time, will the 37 engine fit into the 35 engine bay? 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not exactly sure on the front mount Bob. I seem to recall that the flange faces forward instead of back,  (or vice versa), but if so it's a very small engineering job to reverse this and re-route the exhaust pipe. Well within your versatile range of capabilities I'm sure.  The rear mounts are the same for all  models '34-'54.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    Piece of cake. Mounts are the same, front and back. cut the manifold and shorten it, you will have to make a change to linkage for carb, use 35 head. narrow blocks are the same size. I had a 37 block in my 33t8, nobody knew the diff. 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Tombia, can I avoid shortening the manifold? I prefer to stay away from cast iron welding, I'd rather just alter the exhaust pipe if its possible to do the engine swap that way.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
     Nope, Comes to close to the radiator and right fender. It's cut and fit anyway.  You will have to use high nickel rod.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    CARL WEBERS 35 HUDSON CONVERTIBLE HAS A STEP/DOWN EARA 8 IN HIS CAR 
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Bob, both the 34 and the 35 I restored years ago had 1937 8 cylinder engines in them, just have to modify the front engine pipe, no big deal.