Clutch chatter

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
The clutch in the latest aquisition makes a chattering noise when I release it. I adjusted it per the repair manual and filled it with the six ounces of clutch fluid. I know the manual gives several reasons for clutch clatter, but before I got to the trouble of taking out the transmission I would like to know what the most likely problem is.  

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Which fluid are you using?  Several years ago I had my clutch rebuilt and it had a slight chatter afterwards.  I started using Wildrick's fluid and the chatter went away. You may not have the same miraculous results, of course... 

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I think i'm using Doug's Hudsonite.  If it comes in a silver can, then that's what I'm using.  I know I got it from either him or the HET store.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, that shoots THAT theory, LOL!  Anyway, if you have just acquired this car and just added clutch fluid (I assume you drained the old fluid), you might want to drive it around a bit, just to be sure.  If the fluid was low (or nonexistent) before you added more, then possibly the corks were dry, and it will take awhile for the new oil to do its magic.

Anyway, that's another wild guess.  You might contact Doug to ask for his thoughts.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I can't quite get my head around your description of "Chattering when I release it".  Does this mean when you push down on the pedal and thus release the clutch, or when you let the pedal up and so engage the clutch?   Does it make a noise all the time, or only when the pedal pushed down?
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Sounds like   a finger out of adjustment.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I think Huddy42 has it. My '50's clutch had a chatter only if I used first gear when I first got it running.  I finally pulled it and sent it to Doug.  He found that the spring on one of the fingers was broken and causing the problem.  Ken may also be right, but mine was a finger problem.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It only chatters when I depress the clutch and when I let up off it at the point where the clutch plate engages the flywheel.  At first I was hearing a noise that I assumed was the throwout bearing, but as time has passed that noise has subsided the more I drive the car.  If I try to "ride" the clutch, it engages rough, especially in first gear. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Certainly sounds like the fingers are not adjusted correctly.