262 Cam Bearing Question

ratlee2
ratlee2 Expert Adviser
I picked up my 262 from the machine shop today.  Machinist suggested I look at the cam bearing alignment when I install the cam.  He said sometimes the bores are not machined straight. And can cause the cam to fit tight.  I didn't run into this on my previous '55 308, but I test fitted the cam and it is tight enough that I cannot get it all the way in.  Is this normal and what can I do to correct it properly?

Rich

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Did the cam fit before the machining? If so there has been something done that caused the misalignment.  Note job that want bad?
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    So am I looking a new set of cam bearings again or would they just need to be honed to correct the misalignment?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Cam bearings which are correct size for the cam and properly installed are NOT honed!  There is something wrong and the machinist needs to own up to what that problem is!
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

Thanks for the responses.  The problem has been resolved.  The cam was hanging up on the 3rd journal.  I removed the burr and the cam slid in without any problems.  I was just afraid to force it.  I am now back to reassembly.

-Rich