Does '49 Pacemaker have same body as '50 Commodore?

Tipjar
Tipjar Member
I have a '49 Pacemaker that came with a complete set of spare windows for the doors. However they're marked '50 Commodore. Are they interchangeable? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Yes, if it's the same body style.  
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    Thank you, RL.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Errrr. The Pacemaker body is 5 inches shorter than the Commadore, all in front of the windshield, but they're the same from the cowl back, so you're good with the windows.  The front door vent windows for the Commadore will have crank-out vs push out..  A lot of steering parts are different, as well as the hood, fenders etc.
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, Uncle Josh. Do you think all the door windows would fit any third generation four door Commodore then (1948-1952)?
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    Wait - '49 Pacemaker???

Wasn't 1950 the first year for the Pacemaker?
  • Uncle Josh
    The rear side windows of the 52 sedans were longer and the back window was larger
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    UJ is correct  about the side rear quarter windows.   On a sedan rear quarter windows interchange from 48-51. 52-4   will interchange but door glass is the same from 48-54.  Rear windows:   48-49 and 1950 coupes. 1950: sedans,broughams: split window one year only. they  WILL interchange with the 1951 sedan and brougham if center divider bar is removed.  1952-4 rear windows on sedans and broughams interchange. 52-54 coupe windows interchange. 51 coupe: one year only.
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    Wow. A wealth of information. Thanks everyone....And cpr3333, yes it's a '49 Pacemaker and listed that way on the 1960 and 1969 California registrations.
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    What is the serial number? California DMV made several errors in 1949,
    I had a '48 Plymouth they registered as a '49. Parts I ordered didn't fit.
    I have a 1950 Pacemaker myself.
    Larry
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    edited May 2017
    Serial 49170397.
  • super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    The first 3 digits"491" denotes a 1949 Super 6.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    Ducor Kid said:
    What is the serial number? California DMV made several errors in 1949,
    I had a '48 Plymouth they registered as a '49. Parts I ordered didn't fit.
    I have a 1950 Pacemaker myself.
    Larry

The first series 49 Plymouth were the same as p15/46 thru 48. So theres your diff..
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Tipjar, Can you post a picture of your car?  That serial number you posted is on the Title as well as the right hand pillar of the car?
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the SWB cars have a different firewall. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yes, the engine is recessed back under the firewall of the s.w.b. cars. 
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    edited May 2017
    SuperDave said:
    Tipjar, Can you post a picture of your car?  That serial number you posted is on the Title as well as the right hand pillar of the car?
    Pics of serial plate and car. The 1960 and 1969 California registrations in glove box listed model year 49 and same serial number...Front end is riding high because no motor.

• Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    Lance said:
    UJ is correct  about the side rear quarter windows.   On a sedan rear quarter windows interchange from 48-51. 52-4   will interchange but door glass is the same from 48-54.  Rear windows:   48-49 and 1950 coupes. 1950: sedans,broughams: split window one year only. they  WILL interchange with the 1951 sedan and brougham if center divider bar is removed.  1952-4 rear windows on sedans and broughams interchange. 52-54 coupe windows interchange. 51 coupe: one year only.
    Thanks!

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Did Hudson make a 49 Pacemaker? I'm with super six on this one.  I think your car is a 49 Super 6. 
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    NO 49 Pacemakers.  Serial # matches 1949 Super 6.  
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    edited May 2017
    JasonNC said:
    Did Hudson make a 49 Pacemaker? I'm with super six on this one.  I think your car is a 49 Super 6. 

NO 49 Pacemakers.  Serial # matches 1949 Super 6.  
    Having just viewed a video of a Super 6 I'm inclined to agree. And thanks, Ric, for the serial # information. Not sure if I want to take up the issue with DMV since I'm not exactly a qualified source....I will say this, though. At some point, somewhere (I can't remember where, and have tried unsuccessfully to relocate it), I ran across a month-by-month production chart for the Pacemaker which showed number 70,397 from my serial to have come off the line in 1949....The DMV registration listing it as a 1949 Pacemaker goes back as far as 1960 (although, that record no longer exists in DMV's system). It's possible a DMV clerk made an error back in the day. Is it also possible the accepted understanding of Hudson's production and release dates has been incomplete, and that this may indeed be a 1949 Pacemaker? Is it possible, given the way Hudson liked to switch up serial numbers, that an early run of Pacemakers may have temporarily 'shared' a model designation in the serial, intentionally or not?...Is there someplace I could find out more? I'd like to know for sure.
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    DocHubler said:
    This is not a Pacemaker.  Those were first produced in 1950. It's a 49 Super Six for sure.  The picture of the tag and the car show it's LWB, and a 49 SS model. 
    What would I provide DMV for a correction? Or should I bother?
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Show them your Owner Manual, It gives a detailed breakdown of Serial/model numbers .
    Or, don't bother, that is probably easiest,  Although if you ever have an insurance claim
    you may be in for some "fun"
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    edited May 2017
    Continuing with the Super 6 identification, following are some pics of two cars identified online as a 1949 Hudson Super 6 with tail lights and a trunk latch different than mine (shown in last two pics). Theirs are cooler!

The gallery pics are taken from here: http://www.motoexotica.com/inventory/listing/1949-hudson-super-6/

And the video still shots are taken from here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkgTwaZegY 

Also, the gallery car's serial plate shows a 2 for the model number instead of a 1 like mine. And, if this helps, I measured my wheel base and it seems to be 122.5 inches.

Thanks for looking...

• KustomKreeps
    KustomKreeps Member
    edited May 2017
    you just flicked up pic's of a commodores then a super for the last two pics.  The super will have either 1 bulb per tail light or two if it has indicators. (i think as my non indicator hudson has 1 but the tail lights i got on here for the lenses has 2 so guess two is indicator equip models)

the pic you put up of your car above is small but the tail lights looks the same as my 49 super from that angle.
    httpforumhetcluborguploadseditori78h5knr1x2kbvjpg
    Personally if all the old hudson fanatics on this site who love these old hunks of iron says its a super I would go with it. the amount of obscure knowledge and experience these chaps have is more likely to be correct than some website referencing god knows what put together by sod knows who.

I would rather have a larger Super than the shorter pacemaker but hey each to there own I guess.
    Unless you have some sentimental attachment to Pacemakers that is...

Alex
  • here is a link to my build thread. It is a 1949 Hudson Super. It has a few videos of a walk around that maybe of help to you.
    http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/169014/49-nailhead-hudson/p1

only pic i could find showing its ass at the moment - im at work and to lazy to upload any from phone.

back.jpg 192.2K
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    Thanks, Kustom.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited May 2017
    The Motoexotica car is identified in the link as a Super 6, but in most of the text as a Commodore.  To really confuse the issue, they use Super 6 Commodore in one spot.

According to my copy of the master parts catalog, here are the serial numbers for 1949:

491 - Super 6
    492 - Commodore 6
    493 - Super 8
    494 - Commodore 8

Serial number 49218113 should be a Commodore 6.

Also, from the same book,  the larger, fancier tail light was used on Commodores from 1948 to 1951 and on Hornets in 1951.  The smaller triangular tail light was used on Supers from 1948 to 1951 and on Pacemakers from 1950 to 1951.  (For some weird reason, for the Commodore/Super it lists the same part number for the right side light from 1948 to 1951 but different part numbers for 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 left side lights.)

Of course, that's just how the cars came out of the factory.  Over 70 years, a lot of changes can be made.  Ask SuperDave about the 'Superdore' he used to own.
  • Tipjar
    Tipjar Member
    Thanks cpr3333, great information.
  • Uncle Josh
    And this would be my 52 Hornadore while I was rebuilding the 308.