37 terraplane coupe value - updated Pics

mindspeed
mindspeed Member
edited May 2017 in HUDSON
Hello guys... im new to hudsons and new to this forum as well. I understand this will be hard with out pics and with my minimal knowledge... I have an opportunity to potentially purchase a 1937 terraplane coupe and i am trying to figure out what its value is. The car is very solid body wise except for there are rust holes on both sides of the front side or rear inner fender wells and the is a fair ammound or rot around the bottom of the body at the bottom of the trunk hatch as well as the trunk floor pan at the back edge... the rest is solid and painted flat black, there is no hood or running boards between the fenders, no interrior except for dash and steering wheel with 3 on the tree. The motor is a completely rebuild 1951 202 twin H jet with new rebuilr carbs as well all painted and done last year no wiring all parts are there to put fenders grill lights and all on... i know this seems to be kind of a ramble of words but im wondering a rough value of the vehicle

Comments

• Side note.... i have been told the motor alone is worth 4500 to 6000
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    The engine alone is worth $4500-6000?    This may come as a shock but thats simply not true.. I don't know who told you that but  is the guy making that claim willing to pay that much for it?     As far as the car is concerned... how badly do you want it?  If you have visible rust you will have not so visible rust. Can you handle getting that taken care of?  Are you good with wiring, bodywork etc, etc...??? How about sourcing 37 Terraplane parts?  If not you better start thinking about how much you will have to spend on this car . Now you have a better idea of what you are willing to pay. Remember, the initial purchase price of a vehicle is the cheapest price you will ever pay . From then on it's  a source of funds going out.
  • I guess i should say the rust has been cleaned and stopped by POR 15.. the actuall trunk lid is solid its the body that has the holes in it. The whole interrior floor pan is solid and covered in dynamat. Aside from doing some wiring and putting things together i should be able to fire the car ip and drive it with no more than the purchase price i guess the ultimate question is 5k to much or im i low balling it
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    So few of these cars are bought and sold, that it's hard to establish a price pattern. You will see "value guides" for old cars like this, but they are guesses at best.  One good way to determine if this car is worth the asking price, is to look at what others are asking for similar vehicles.  I took a quick look on the Internet for some '37 Terraplanes:

Here's one at $7,200: http://carclassifiedscheapads.com/2016/04/23/1937-other-makes-terraplane-brown-for-sale-on-craigslist/

Here's one that looks like it's brand new, for $14,000:  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/hudson/terraplane/1898746.html  That's almost three times what you're looking at paying, but look at all the work and money it will cost you to get it to a comparable condition.

Here's a "mystery" one -- no price: http://usedfromusa.com/other-adsars-ads/35053-1937-hudson-terraplane-base-35l.html

No price on this coupe but it seems very solid.  If it's still for sale.  http://findclassicars.com/other-makes/53321-1937-hudson-terraplane-coupe-2-door-37-hot-rat-rod-restoration-project.html 

2-door sedan, no engine or trans. but only  http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/other-makes/Other-Makes-Terraplane-1937-hudson-terraplane_262631619963.html

It's not a coupe, but a rather rare pickup:  Only $5400  http://autoquid.com/car-detail/other-makes/Other-Makes-hudson-terraplane-pick-up-truck-rat_301553365357.html

This coupe was for sale back in January but I can't believe it's still available, given the price. Yes, it's $3500 more than the one you're looking at...but look what you'd be getting. http://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=12&id=3632&Itemid=1367

The coupe body style is a plus, they are always worth more than the 4-doors or 2-door sedans, but extensive rust and missing parts mean a lot of time and money ahead.  If this particular year and make appeal to you, hold off buying the car and sniff around.  The stuff's out there and you may have the opportunity to get a lot more for a whole lot less money.  Unless you've been shopping for one for years, and this is the only one that came up, I'd advise you to hold off....or give the guy a lowball bid and see what happens.
  • mindspeed
    mindspeed Member
    edited May 2017
    Thank you very much for the help thus far....im going to have to keep looking and researching this.. 
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    The first thing you want to do before buying any kind of these cars is to make sure the car has a clear title not a bill of sale but a title so you can get it put in your name if car has no title run because you do not want to waste your time or money after you buy a car and find out you can not get one I know.
  • All the paperwork is straight i know the people who have owned the car for over 60 years... i am a car guy i can do almost all the work myself.. the work i cant do i have close friends that are way more capable than i am in all different auto back grounds so none of the work scares me or is a concern... 
  • Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    Hard knowing--not seeing.  Sounds like it's worth 4--7K depending on rust, etc. That jet engine is a great choice for that car. If you are handy and understand what you are getting into--go for it. You will get lots of advise here if you ask for it.
  • mindspeed
    mindspeed Member
    edited May 2017
    Ive got some pics but im having to sort through them before i can post them... im still baffeled by this motor from the reserch im comming to the conclusion it is a 1953 hudson jet 202 with a super power dome head all new rebuild with new carbs twin h power... i have the casting numbers off the head and block but have not been able to search them as of yet. 
  • some of the pics I took all the rot is in the rear fender wells and rear of trunk.... still trying to figure out what is special about the motor.. Hudson Jet 202 twin H Power completely restored and rebuilt, The head says Super Power Dome on it...
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    car in clio mi  belonging to the late  Robbie williams
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Allow me to take just a different point of view.  In todays money you can expect to spend around $20,000 to restore a car.  This is not a high end award winning car, simply a nice looking daily driver.  Your next question is:  How much work can I do, How much time do I have and what is my stress level worth?  Today, it is always the best deal to find one finished and accept the car as it is.  However, most of us on this forum enjoy the challenge of the project and would rather build our cars.  Just a point.  No antique car is a good buy.  They all cost too much and take too much time.  Seldom can you build and sell and come out even.  So, If you understand this--just go out and buy it and start enjoying the entire process....
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I agree with Brownie. This looks like a fun ride and not real common to see. The engine being a Hudson and not a SBC is a real plus and will be a crowd pleaser at car shows.  If you have the ability and funds I would say $5K is probably not too much, or make an offer for less, won't hurt to try.  The engine is not worth $4,500 but with the Twin H setup and if you had to do a rebuild my guess is that you would easily have $3K into it.  so $2K for a Terraplane coupe that needs a bit of rust repair???