Silly Question

Val
Val Member
Do the pre war cars have an accessory position when you turn the ignition key? Such as to play the radio with out starting the car.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2017
    Mine (1937) doesn't.  Funny that no one at the factory considered that some people wanted to listen to the radio while the car was stopped (without overheating the coil and burning the points, that is)
  • my 35 Terraplane doesn't
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I thought the first year for that was '52, when the starter got moved to the key, but not positive.  
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

My 1910, 1922 (oh wait no radio), 1937, and 1946 do not have accessory positions.

Jay

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Couldn't you rewire it to just turn the radio on and off with out the key in the on position and save the points ?
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    I just wired a switch that is mounted discreetly under the dash. I use it regularly when I would rather listen to the radio than be in a clothing shop!
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks to all who have responded thus far. I have spoken with someone at Wildrick's and was told that since I have the push button start that when I turn the ignition key that is my accessory setting. The reason I am asking is that my wife wants to go to the drive in theater in the car on old US 66 near here. I thought that would be great as I can use my IPOD for the FM radio receiver considering I have the original am radio in the car. But not wanting to burn the battery or have car running the whole time I was concerned. As for the points, well I have none, I went electronic ignition on it. But ernie28 I would be most interested in what you did and how. Please advise.   
  • So, were guys like "wow, why didn't I think of that!" when accessory settings first came about?  LOL...
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Val, I took a power feed from the fuse block to the switch and then just laced a wire to the radio feed wire. To save stress on the ignition switch I have a relay in the standard feed to the radio so there is no way the power can feed back to the other circuits in the car. 
    A very simple and easy mod with a discreet switch to not spoil the dash. 
    Good luck with this if you use this method. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thank you Ernie28, I appreciate the info. Would you please get me a diagram as I am not an electrician by no means of the word.  : )
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Hi Val
    I have drawn a rough diagram of the relevant circuits. Hope you can make sense of it and if not just ask the questions. Good luck.image
  • Val
    Val Member
    Thanks Ernie28 I appreciate it. I'll be in touch as I said I am in no way an electrician.